• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator? Solenoid? Sensor? TRuck will not start

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 4.0l OHV

Here is the issue I am having.......... The truck will not start unless I jump the starter solenoid on the fender to make it turn the starter. My battery gauge in the truck says its too low when I check the batter however is 12.4 volts. My oil ressure and coolant gauge are all not working. MY question What could be the causing me all these issues.?

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I should also add that just the day before the truck started perfectly fine I however cannot remember if the gauges were though

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check fuse #14 in engine fuse box

Also fuse #24 in cab fuse box

Fuse #14 powers the ignition switch, it gets power from Fender mounted starter relay post, the Battery positive is connected to this same post, so is alternator.
Loose nut and make sure all the cables/wires on this post are free of corrosion.

When you turn the key to START the power from fuse #14 runs to fuse #24 in the cab fuse box, then thru Clutch pedal switch OR NSS switch(automatic), and then to the Starter Relay on the fender, this is the smaller Red/Light blue wire on the Relay

Just FYI, the part on the fender is a relay, the starter solenoid is on the starter motor(always has been).
A solenoid causes movement, in this case it pushes or pulls on the starter motor's gear to engage or disengage the gear and flywheel.
A relay passes power to an electrical device.

But like "freeze plugs" the wrong name has stuck so "starter solenoid" usually means the Starter relay on the fender to most :)

If you have a factory anti-theft system there can also be a starter interrupt relay but you would getting a flashing theft light if that were the case.

Low battery light is when engine is running?
If so that means alternator is off, and that could be from blown Fuse #14 or dirty terminals on starter relay.
Turning key on sends power from fuse to alternator to turn it on, yes alternators have on/off switches.
Battery voltage when engine is running should be 13.5v to 14.9v depending on how long engine has been running.
If battery is 12.4v with engine running then battery light should be on.

With engine off 12.3v to 13.2v is normal depending on battery type

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check fuse #14 in engine fuse box

Also fuse #24 in cab fuse box

Fuse #14 powers the ignition switch, it gets power from Fender mounted starter relay post, the Battery positive is connected to this same post, so is alternator.
Loose nut and make sure all the cables/wires on this post are free of corrosion.

When you turn the key to START the power from fuse #14 runs to fuse #24 in the cab fuse box, then thru Clutch pedal switch OR NSS switch(automatic), and then to the Starter Relay on the fender, this is the smaller Red/Light blue wire on the Relay

Just FYI, the part on the fender is a relay, the starter solenoid is on the starter motor(always has been).
A solenoid causes movement, in this case it pushes or pulls on the starter motor's gear to engage or disengage the gear and flywheel.
A relay passes power to an electrical device.

But like "freeze plugs" the wrong name has stuck so "starter solenoid" usually means the Starter relay on the fender to most :)

If you have a factory anti-theft system there can also be a starter interrupt relay but you would getting a flashing theft light if that were the case.

Low battery light is when engine is running?
If so that means alternator is off, and that could be from blown Fuse #14 or dirty terminals on starter relay.
Turning key on sends power from fuse to alternator to turn it on, yes alternators have on/off switches.
Battery voltage when engine is running should be 13.5v to 14.9v depending on how long engine has been running.
If battery is 12.4v with engine running then battery light should be on.

With engine off 12.3v to 13.2v is normal depending on battery type

WOW! Thanks for all that info so far I have tested the battery and with the truck off and everything connected it holds a 12.4 volts I did not however think to check what it was with it running. When the truck is running the battery light will go off sometimes flash I have been told there is a small white and black wire that plugs into the alternator and cleaning that can help and it has in the past but not this time if anything made it worse.

As far a anti theft I think my truck has something to that effect and I hate it because its always going off when I open my doors but as far it not starting I haven't seen any lights flashing I even checked for codes and didn't get anything. I also checked ALL the fuses and I did have a coupe that were blown but can't remember which ones off hand I will check again and make sure but last I checked all was well.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals