• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator problem

SWE_lollo03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi so i was out driving arround two weeks ago and i blew one of the oil colant hoses and it coverd the whole engine bay and everything in there including the alternator so i fixed the hose and refilled the oil and drove it home. When i got close to home it wouldn't run right i needed to give it some throtle from time to time and when i finaly got home and was going to park it died when i stoped so i tried to start it again but the battery was dead so i took it out and charged it and figured maybe the brushes in the alternator are coverd in oil or something so it wont charge. They were so i cleaned them and the rest of the engine bay and then put the battery back and started it but it still wasen't charging and now My charging lamp is on when the ignition is off but not when the car is runing, anybody know what's going on with it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats an odd one

1988 Ranger should have the 2G or 3G charging system
So one large wire on B+ terminal, stub and nut terminal

And 3 wire voltage regulator plug, for internal voltage regulator

With key off
Use volt meter to test B+ terminal, use alternators metal case as the ground(for all tests)
Should see Battery Voltage, i.e. if you test battery terminals and see 12.4v then thats what you should see at alternator
If not fusible link is blown

Unplug 3 wire connector
Test Yellow wire, should see battery voltage here as well, if not fuse or fusible link is blown

Test Light green wire, should see 0v
Turn on the key/engine off
Retest green wire, should now see battery voltage, can be 0.1 or 0.2 less

If all wires test as OK then plug 3 wire connector back in and start the engine
Test voltage at battery, should see 14+ volts, if not alternator is bad, might try disassembling and cleaning it

SWE_lollo03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The green wire was 4,5 volts so then it's probably broken right?

SWE_lollo03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I tried with another alternator and it shows the same

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Unless you had the bad luck of getting a bad alternator out of the box, you may have a legit wiring issue.
It could be something as simple as a plug connection, or complicated like a computer issue. I would assemble a photographic chart of your electrical system, and isolate the charging system. From there I would reference it to check all connections, grounds and point along the wiring that is exposed, and could be worn or damaged. If everything is good with charging, move on to the computer parts/wiring diagram.

SWE_lollo03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yea no i found the problem just now the battery is broken but still shows 12.5 isch volt but wont charge unless it's from a charger and not the alternator

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If key was on the green wire should be 12volts, this is the ON/OFF switch for alternator, 4.5v wouldn't turn alternator on

The green wire comes from the instrument cluster, the battery light
When you turn on the key the battery light bulb gets 12v from ignition switch
That 12v goes thru the bulb and out the green wire to alternator, since alternator is OFF the Battery light bulb comes on, alternator "acts" as a lower voltage(ground) for the bulb, so it lights up

When you start the engine the 12v on green wire is the "startup" voltage so alternator can start making its own voltage
When it does then the green wire has its own 12v so battery light goes off

With 4.5v on green wire the alternator can NOT "start up" to make its own voltage so no charging, alternator is OFF

Most likely the wire is not broken but has corrosion on a connector between alternator and instrument cluster
I would start unplugging any connectors you can see/find in the engine bay and look for corrosion

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals