• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Already bled?

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So this would be an incorrect statement "Just replaced master cylinder and slave cylinder assembly."

Replacing the Master was a good thing to try, easiest thing to do
But you WILL need to replace the slave, pressure plate and clutch disc now

Use a self adjusting pressure plate(SAC) not a "regular" pressure plate

Do not use a clutch disc that mentions anything about "racing", lol, they are made of softer material so they get "sticky", and grip better when hot, but wear out in 1/2 the time of a regular clutch disc
Sorry I am brand new at this stuff. Was just reading what the packing slip said.
Having a hard time finding a SAC without getting a kit with stuff you did not mention. Any suggestions on where to get exactly what you said. I have checked Rockauto,1A, and carports.com as well as AutoZone.

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So this would be an incorrect statement "Just replaced master cylinder and slave cylinder assembly."

Replacing the Master was a good thing to try, easiest thing to do
But you WILL need to replace the slave, pressure plate and clutch disc now

Use a self adjusting pressure plate(SAC) not a "regular" pressure plate

Do not use a clutch disc that mentions anything about "racing", lol, they are made of softer material so they get "sticky", and grip better when hot, but wear out in 1/2 the time of a regular clutch disc
Ok. Is this what I need? (See pics) Anything else? Remember I am brand new at this!! Lol

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are two different clutch sizes
In 1999 Ranger there is the 2.5l and 3.0l engine model
And the 4.0l engine model

Not sure which engine you have

I prefer LUK brand clutches, but not required

You need:
pressure plate and clutch disc, self adjusting is best
Slave with attached throwout bearing<<90% come with throwout bearing attached
Pilot bearing, small bearing that sits in center of fly wheel, and not expensive
Those are the new parts

When transmission is pulled back or out, you want to give the flywheel a good look, run your hand over the flat surface, there should be no ridges, should be "smooth as glass", same as a brake rotor surface
Some discoloration is OK but its a judgement call, discoloration is because flywheel got HOT because clutch was slipping

You can pull off the flywheel and have it surfaced, or replace it
If you do decide to pull off the flywheel then I would also replace the Rear Main Seal, this is an inexpensive seal that prevents engine oil from SQUIRTING OUT of the rear main crank bearing, if this seal fails/leaks then when engine is running it will pump out QUARTS of oil in a few minutes
And its hard to get to if that happens, so..................if you are there already why not replace it

If you have a local auto parts store, and the cash, then you can get new flywheel and rear main seal to have on hand when replacing the clutch
Then return both if your current flywheel is OK

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

You need:
Pilot bearing, small bearing that sits in center of fly wheel, and not expensive
Those are the new parts

When transmission is pulled back or out, you want to give the flywheel a good look, run your hand over the flat surface, there should be no ridges, should be "smooth as glass", same as a brake rotor surface
Some discoloration is OK but its a judgement call, discoloration is because flywheel got HOT because clutch was slipping

If you do decide to pull off the flywheel then I would also replace the Rear Main Seal, this is an inexpensive seal that prevents engine oil from SQUIRTING OUT of the rear main crank bearing, if this seal fails/leaks then when engine is running it will pump out QUARTS of oil in a few minutes
And its hard to get to if that happens, so..................if you are there already why not replace it

If you have a local auto parts store, and the cash, then you can get new flywheel and rear main seal to have on hand when replacing the clutch
Ok Ron. Wow that's alot!!! Lol. Ty so much.

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

You need:
Those are the new parts

That clutch kit says say "all necessary pilots" do I have everything I need here? The fly wheel and rear seal I will look at once I am in there.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LUK 07140 fits 2.3l/2.5l or 3.0l Ranger engine, NOT 4.0l engine
Kit shows it has a self adjusting pressure plate and clutch disc and pilot bearing with alignment tool

LUK LSC003B shows correct slave with throwout bearing attached, for 1993 and up Rangers

Slave will not be prefilled
So after its in, open the bleeder, remove reservoir cap and air bladder
THEN hook up the master and let it Gravity bleed, put a pan under bleeder, and keep an eye on reservoir, don't let it run dry
Shouldn't take more than 2 minute before just fluid is coming out of the bleeder, then close it off

Last edited:

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Kit shows it has a self adjusting pressure plate and clutch disc and pilot bearing with alignment tool

LUK LSC003B shows correct slave with throwout bearing attached, for 1993 and up Rangers

THEN hook up the master and let it Gravity bleed, put a pan under bleeder, and keep an eye on reservoir, don't let it run dry
Shouldn't take more than 2 minute before just fluid is coming out of the bleeder, then close it off
Ok. So sounds like I should go ahead and order these. Thanks bro!

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

This may be a stupid question but do I need to drain my transmission before I drop it?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you have a plug for the tailshaft after removing the driveshaft... no

If you don't have the plug.... It will be less messy if you drain it.

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you have a plug for the tailshaft after removing the driveshaft... no

If you don't have the plug.... It will be less messy if you drain it.
Ok. Thanx man!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
yep, some of come pre filled and ready to go, you probably got one of those.

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I gotta say I am quite surprised this LUK slave is plastic

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
All slaves are plastic on these...

Did you say the clutch disengages when you push the pedal about 2"? That's completely normal, what's the problem? Is it slipping when trying to accelerate? I'm confused, but I did just skim through the clutch component talk above...

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
All slaves are plastic on these...

Did you say the clutch disengages when you push the pedal about 2"? That's completely normal, what's the problem? Is it slipping when trying to accelerate? I'm confused, but I did just skim through the clutch component talk above...
When I push the clutch to the floor it does not begin to engage until I have almost completely released it. Hopefully that explains it better.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, it should engage about 2" from the resting position of the pedal, it is how hydraulic clutches should be I believe, most cable clutches I've driven release closer to the floor, but the hydraulic clutch on my F350 with a ZF 5 speed releases soon similar to both my Rangers. When the friction business of the clutch is warn out they disengage as soon as you move the pedal and slip if you are in a low gear and floor it up a hill. When there is a hydraulic issue normally the clutch won't disengage at all even with the pedal at the floor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals