• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Almost ready to start my swap, last questions

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Truck is a 91 Ranger with the 2.9, almost done amassing the parts to start the 351 swap. Motor came out of an 84 F250, came complete with t18, hydro bellhousing, and transfer case, for a whopping $100 and a week of work.

I'm planning on running a carb with this motor, keeping the stock in tank fuel pump and using a Holley bypass style regulator to knock the pressure down to 8 psi. I had cut and spliced the steel fuel line on the frame using compression fittings a while back. What's the budget build way to connect from the steel line, to the 3/8 NPT inlet on the regulator? If I get true high pressure fuel line from th parts store, and flare a nub on the end of the steel line, will that be sufficient to hold the line on with a couple of hose clamps? I'm trying to mount th regulator up on the firewall out of harms way.

Next, it currently has the stock 2 barrel carb on it, which I plan to at least get it running with. I have a performer 4 barrel intake for it eventually. How well will the stock holley 2 barrel carb work for wheeling? When I go 4 barrel, what is a good carb for offroad? (heard edlebrock sucks).

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If i was you id go with hyd style fittings and hyd lines on ur fuel from the metal line to ur regulator. Goin to ur regulator ul still be having 40 psi with high pressure pump. Hyd fittings and lines can withstand several hundred psi on 1/4 line. Ul prolly blow the line off using hose clamps....frm what ive seen 2 barrel works ok and will run less its extreme angles. If ur going to be rock crawling or something go with holley truck avenger carb. Its built for extreme off rd. bout 400 bucks new. I run ford motorcraft 2 barrel on mine and so far all is well. But i dnt get on steep sideways angle. Just hunt and fish. No trail riding

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard Motorcraft 2bbls are about the best, not sure which one but that should get you pointed in a direction.

For putzing around the farm I haven't had an issue with my Edelbrock 4bbl. It is rougher than a mall parking lot but isn't quite to the serious off road trails you see people wheeling on the net.

Last edited:

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Fant: I'm trying to stay away from the higher priced solutions, but if I don't find anything else I'll look more into the hydraulic lines. Thanks!

85: yeah it's a Holley or motorcraft, not sure. Thinking about putting the performer intake on and getting a 2 barrel adapter to eliminate the emissions BS. I don't wheel hardcore stuff, just a lot of mud and rough trails. I am in the granite state after all!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The performer intake is just a cast aluminum Ford intake and really isn't much of a "performer"

I have a Wieand Stealth, they are fairly cheap (about $170 a few years ago when I got mine) and I love it. :icon_thumby:

An old 2bbl intake should be cheap to find.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
It already has a cast iron 2 barrel intake, just figured it would clean up some of the emissions and vacuum stuff on the intake, and I already have the performer.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I would put the performer on so that it leaves the option of running a 4 barrel one day.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
So what are people's opinions of putting a piece of high pressure fuel hose over the steel line on the frame, double clamp it, and run it up to the regulator that way?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I say no, don't half-a$$ the job, do it right. Double flare the steel line, and bend another steel tube line up to the regulator, then use the correct fittings to go into the regulator...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals