• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Almost prepared for winter

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Finally got around to doing some more of my winterization plans.

First I finally got a new 130A alternator!

Although I still need a battery as my truck is having a hard time turning over if its really cold out.

Then I got my Amber fog lamps on.

They work freaking wonders in fog and bad snow conditions. :yahoo:

Finally I had planned on getting yellow bulbs for my headlights so that the light would be yellow and reflect better off of the snow. Well I didn't get bulbs I ended up taking my old ones and using a yellow sharpy I colored in the glass and it actually worked pretty well. Even though its a little hard to see in the pic it is very yellow!

the one on the left is the one I changed.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
finger nail polish does a pretty good job of coloring bulbs, too. like the mods. like me, i'm sure you already have your winter survival kit updated, repacked, and in the truck.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
did you replace your fusible link to a bigger on so that the 130 amp alt. doesnt blow it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going thru the charging system on my tractor so I can run the lights in the dark and not have to charge it the next time I want to use it... that is no fun.

It is fun blading snow in the dark though. :secret:

Once I get that done it is pretty much ready to go, I am waiting on the chains until we get a snow that requires them. They are not fun to either put on and drive on dry ground, but they were a lifesaver last year.

Otherwise, I think except for being due for an oil change and tire rotation the truck is pretty much ready to go.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
finger nail polish does a pretty good job of coloring bulbs, too. like the mods. like me, i'm sure you already have your winter survival kit updated, repacked, and in the truck.
I do have my kit but I don't keep it in my truck (unless I go on a trip I see no point in carrying it around to a trip to the store. I should probably update it though... lol

did you replace your fusible link to a bigger on so that the 130 amp alt. doesnt blow it?
I have not, but thanks for bringing that up. I haven't added any extra loads but I'll get a new one when I go get a new battery and cables.

I am going thru the charging system on my tractor so I can run the lights in the dark and not have to charge it the next time I want to use it... that is no fun.

It is fun blading snow in the dark though. :secret:

Once I get that done it is pretty much ready to go, I am waiting on the chains until we get a snow that requires them. They are not fun to either put on and drive on dry ground, but they were a lifesaver last year.

Otherwise, I think except for being due for an oil change and tire rotation the truck is pretty much ready to go.
I need to do an oil change and give it a good cleaning. Also need to dig out my chains. I love plowing in the dark with my wheeler although its nice to have the lights.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
yea make sure its a fusible link for an explorer with a 130 amp alt or similar, as a link for a 90 amp unit will blow under load.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yea make sure its a fusible link for an explorer with a 130 amp alt or similar, as a link for a 90 amp unit will blow under load.
Does napa sell these? And do they have them for a specific vehicle or is it more of a universal part?

wakingtowinter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is the fusible link you guys are talking about and where is it found? I'm planning on upgrading to a 130A alternator soon and this would be good to know.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this will be my first winter in a truck. not to thread jack but what do your winterization plans consist of, and what does your survival pack have? what should i know for winter safe times in a 2wd?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
What is the fusible link you guys are talking about and where is it found? I'm planning on upgrading to a 130A alternator soon and this would be good to know.
Its part of that large wire that goes from the alternator to the battery (the only one you bolt on i think) and it is a wire with a fuse that will blow if too much current passes through it to protect everything else.

this will be my first winter in a truck. not to thread jack but what do your winterization plans consist of, and what does your survival pack have? what should i know for winter safe times in a 2wd?
Well for me, I went through and checked all of my fluids (still checking actually) stuff like oil, transmission, t case, diffs, P/S, Coolant (and protection level), wiper fluid is switched to winter formula. Then I swapped out my summer tires for winter, cleaned the under body and patched up holes in the underbody protectant, washed and waxed the paint very well. Rain X the windows, clean out the interior, make sure the heater works good, Still in the process of making a winter front and stuff.

My pack right now includes energy bars (lots of protein helps you produce more heat), extra clothes (warm hat, gloves, long underware, sweaters, snow boots), Blankets and or -40 degree rated sleeping bags, tow rope, jumper cables, 2 qts of oil, a gallon of anti freeze, flares... I still need to get my tent or a tarp, tire chains and I always throw in a couple gallons of room temp water before I leave.

For driving in the winter i would get a set of good snow tires or all terrain tires will work just as well. A pair of chains is always a good idea, weight in the back helps you gain traction. And always try to get a feel for the road and conditions and adjust speed accordingly!!! I stress this because some people drive the speed limit or higher in conditions that require half the speed, and they have different experience with driving in the winter and every vehicle handles conditions differently (a subaru is AWD will clearly be more cabable in the winter then a RWD truck). And since you have a 2wd the back end will always be squirrely slow or fast.

I highly recommend going to an empty icy parking lot and just screwing around with oyur truck on the ice to get a feel for how it handles on ice and train yourself to counteract any trouble you may have (like drifting or sliding ect...)

quikcobra

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is that snow on the floor already? Heck its only 11/18.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm nowhere near ready for winter, but I have a sneaky suspicion that winter really doesn't care whether I'm ready for it or not, lol.

My F-150 is not a functional 4x4 right now... need to swap the front pumpkin and replace the front U-joints. I've been delaying tearing it apart because I want to replace the front rotors and pads when I tear everything apart and just don't have enough money to do that right now.

My choptop is not ready for winter either, but behind my F-150, it's the next closest to being ready. It only needs a windshield, RF headlight assembly replaced, front fender, grill and hood replaced (large tree branch made that mess for me), front axle upgraded to a D-35 (as of Wends of next week I will have the front pumpkin for that), my newly used tires mounted, then a current inspection sticker.

I need to get the plow on the lawn tractor, get the tubes in the tires, the rust knocked off the chains, etc. Need to winterize the rest of the tractors.

Need to help dad fix his Ranger (motor swap), fix his F-350 (brake problem), and need to get my plow fixed up the rest of the way (I have two plow pumps that each need about $150 in parts to fix, need to weld up the new lower mount and get it attached to the truck, need a new angle ram, and need to do some welding repairs to the plow blade and A-frame -- it's a Meyers 7.5 ST plow). And I need to do some general clean-up around here - getting things moved out of the way and neatly stored away.

Of course, that all has to be done in my spare time - when I'm not working or trying to find more business.

I think we really need to have a tech article done up with all sorts of info for preparing for winter, the question gets brought up at least 9,000,000 times every year. Maybe this year I'll devote some time to writing something up and hope it gets posted....

For a 2wd Ranger I highly recommend running either a devoted snow tire (like Blizzacks or the like) or an aggressively patterned AT tire. Something with siping (cuts in the tread blocks) and has bigger tread blocks and voids than a BFG AT tire. Weight in the bed is also helpful but it's a trade-off. Too much weight will hurt you in deep snow and too little will hurt you when the snow gets packed down. I often found myself varying the weight based on the weather conditions I expected to encounter. But usually 2-300 lbs worked out for an average user. And never use anything like concrete block. I used sand for a long time and still use it with my F-150. For my Ranger since I always had the bed closed in, I used lead shot - the kind for reloading shotgun shells. I picked up several bags dirt cheap at a flea market with the intention of trying them for winter weight and they worked out perfect because they were heavy, didn't take up hardly any room, and because it was a bag full of 25 lbs of 7.5 shot, it had a lot of inertia (I was in a wreak with them once and when I got stopped, they hadn't really moved at all - the rest of my stuff in the bed was a different matter, lol).

If you start to spin, let off the gas. Pick a different gear if you continue to spin. I slipped the clutch a little an used second gear in my Ranger several times when first gear was just causing me to spin. In my F-150 and the F-350 I drive, I've even used third when spinning because both had the engine grunt to pull it off.

Chains are helpful when things get really bad. I've carried a set for years now. Mine came from http://www.tirechains.com.

I always carry a small duffel with a complete change of clothes, two t-shirts, two pairs of socks, and a lined flannel shirt. I usually also have at least one sweatshirt in the truck too. And when I go somewhere in the winter I usually take an extra coat along. Plus I have a shovel in the back, couple tow straps and shackle, couple MREs, foil "survival" blanket or two, couple packs of those Lance snack crackers, small bottle of rum (survival rations), sturdy knife, matches and lighter, two flashlights, cellphone and CB radio, and I always have water on hand. Plus all the tools and such that is usually in my trucks.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn yankees actin like a little snow is the end of the world ;) just playin guys.

I'm lucky to have to throw on a jacket when we get snow, usually no more than 6"-10" at a time. Last winter was the worst in a few years. But nothing too bad. I guess that's what I get for living in texas :) ill try and find some of the pics from last winter out at the farm, pulled the hood off the old VW bug and tied it to the Bii.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals