• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Allen keys, do they sell just the holders/ indexes?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I just thought OP was trying to organize the loose ones, I guess I missed the "portable" aspect of the post.
Or I assumed too much.

But I believe he seemed to be leaning toward the plastic portable ones that were mentioned.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Ideally both organized and portable. I like wood block idea, although being a metal worker, I would use a block of aluminum. This did give me an idea, I can use my drill index to at least group same sizes together. Like my drill bits, the size indicator is worn off on most of them. I will probably order two of the plastic ones to try. For now I ended up buying the smallest cheapest set I could find to live the work rollaway drawer. I'd really like the key ring with the spring like holders that grab the allens from the long end.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I traveled a lot for work, always liked those plastic ones, didn't really have a problem with them falling out. Kept the plastic holders in a small pouch or tool roll.

However, I used them a bunch, so I ended up buying a new set of metric Bohondus wrenches every few months. I always had a fresh set with a new sleeve.

Saved the old ones in case I needed to make a stubby wrench or something custom to get into a weird spot.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ideally both organized and portable. I like wood block idea, although being a metal worker, I would use a block of aluminum. This did give me an idea, I can use my drill index to at least group same sizes together. Like my drill bits, the size indicator is worn off on most of them. I will probably order two of the plastic ones to try. For now I ended up buying the smallest cheapest set I could find to live the work rollaway drawer. I'd really like the key ring with the spring like holders that grab the allens from the long end.
I have the key ring, spring holder thing. It’s ok as a “for now” kinda thing but less than desirable as a long term solution.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I find those spring holders to be a PITA - Most of my loose keys were pulled out of them when trying to get into a tight space and later just thrown back in a drawer. This thread has me thinking though and I am going to make a standard and metric set on my son's 3D printer and assemble a few sets. Lots of good design options on Thingiverse.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The coil holder would be for my tool belt, and would only carry the few I need for the rare occasions Im doing finish on stage installing doorknobs and whatnot. Usually I am in the metal shop with my craftsman rollaway, where I have allen keys, bits, and sockets...which actually I dont use often unless I am changing a blade on the saw or something...

I would totally buy some 3D printed holders. I really need to get into 3D printing, it seems useful now.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
just buy a cheapo set and have extras, as an added bonus its 6 bucks cheaper

allen key set - Google Search

Those black and grey holders that come with the husky set are garbage. The keys fall out constantly. Completely worthless unless they are just sitting there on a table.

They fold open and the wrenches clip in. You want the kind where the wrenches slide in from the top.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I ended up finding a nice compact set in the plastic sleeve holders for cheap and just bought em. Then I found the coil holder type in a key ring at the autozone impulse buy section at the counter. Both standard and metric, in a little reusable pouch! Both have come in handy a few times since then. As for my drawer collection, I will probably gather some sets of labeled ones as spares and toss the rest, and gain a drawer. Winning!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals