• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All balls and TRE

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Go get an alignment...

WastefulFocusedEmu-size_restricted.gif

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not sarcasm... I do the alignment myself on my 65 stang because it's old and simple. You can't trust old school tricks on a modern vehicle. You need to get it on an alignment rack plane and simple. Everything could be perfectly fine... well your tires obviously aren't anymore.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Not if it's got bad bushings...
Yes, worn bushings most certainly can cause a loss of wheel alignment (not to mention may also damage suspension parts because of metal-on-metal contact).

I've used the method described in that article to align vehicles 1948-2018. Some newer vehicles might need things like stability or AEB systems recalibrated afterward, but that's nothing to do with the actual mechanics of aligning the wheels. Machines are mostly there to take guesswork out of the job, which saves time (labor costs) for the shop.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I checked my alignment and found that both tires were just a little toe out. I adjusted to a little toe in. Using the string method, I allowed about 1/8 inch clearance between string and the front side of each tire. None the less, I will get a so called professional alignment too. I will report what they find.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You can't align anything post 1942 with string!!! Lazers and shit exist! Computers even!! While I admire your "give em hell I'll do it myself" attitude... I'm afraid it doesn't work in this situation.

Keep the string for your duesenberg and put your ranger on an alignment rack.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm not quite sure of this "string method" myself... :icon_confused: I've always used a tape measure.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I wanted to use a tape measure but I can't get a line between the two tires because of stuff in the way. about those rubber bushings. which one(s) should I look at and what would a worn out one look like?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There will always be errors in using a plumb bob, not in the gravitational, but in the translational areas.

A simple sample of this is why a framer makes a single rafter to use in marking the other 40, because every time you make a mark it tends to move.

Some auto manufacturer manuals to this day recommend a plum bob in initial inspection for frame alignment, fact is in most construction the initial mark is placed using a plumb bob, which they use to set up their lasers, haha, ironic huh

Most of the city elevations used on maps today were made in the 1800s, by railroad surveyors using relatively primitive equipment, but today's front ends are considerably more complicated.

I would however use a carpenters rule (with the end slider for making accurate inside measurements), in measuring for simple toe in, but as was already stated, there is often too much in the way to get a good measurement front and rear.

90s yard sale special

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I wanted to use a tape measure but I can't get a line between the two tires because of stuff in the way. about those rubber bushings. which one(s) should I look at and what would a worn out one look like?
It's not necessary to measure from exactly the 9 and 3 o' clock positions at the wheels... If you can get the tape measure at say, 8 o clock and 4 o' clock, you can still get an accurate toe measurement (and is how I do it on sedans).

There are four bushings on the coil spring Ford Twin-Beam suspension. Two axlebeam pivot bushings + two radius arm bushings. Usually the first to go is the passengerside radius arm bushing due to it's proximity to the catalytic converter, but at this point in the truck's lifetime, I'd suggest replace all of them if they are original. Look for the bushing disintegrating, allowing the suspension part to flop around inside it's hole and/or gaps between the bushing and the parts it's supporting. Pry up and down on them looking for looseness or excess movement.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I have a folding ruler with the slider. I will use it to check my toe in/out. Since I adjusted it the steering is better. It was wondering and I had to constantly work the steering wheel. It's better now. I want to look at those bushings. As old as this truck is, they must be worn pretty well out. Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals