• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AJE Ranger K-Member Who's Done It!?

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I don't believe another stock column is going to work for me. Looking at making a race column or buying one then making brackets doesn't seem too bad. Pretty sure I already have some 3/4 OD .120 steel tube laying around.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is that a 68/69 Torino in the background?

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
69 Mustang coupe. Someday this ranger will be the donor for the mustang.

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Small update, Helping clean out my buddies shop yesterday to put up a 2 post lift on the right hand side in the next couple of weeks which is going to be my home for the next quite a long while.

Also, ordered up more parts. I keep spending money and I haven't even started tearing it apart yet.

Holley Terminator ECU, 6.8" Pro Dash (but I may switch it out for the larger screen. I wasn't expecting it to be so small), Pair of Turbosmart Hypergate 45's & Pro Port 55mm BOV, and obviously the twin snails. Went for BW S300SX3 66/73's.
Motor's still on ice until they can get stock of blocks back in stock. I've got plenty of work to do before then so it's not the end of the world.

Will post more as I spend more money or finally begin the teardown.

20220814_195440.jpg

20220809_152742.jpg

20220705_134136.jpg

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
@n2xlr8n How do you like that aluminum column? The seller of those said its not DOT approved hence why he says racing only. I don't see why that should stop me from using it.

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
@n2xlr8n How do you like that aluminum column? The seller of those said its not DOT approved hence why he says racing only. I don't see why that should stop me from using it.
@Yotaismygame Compared to high end RR or drag columns, it's pretty basic- meaning I wouldn't use it in a vehicle I was driving everyday. It's attraction for me was it is a slam-dunk. Everything lined up dead-nuts.

FWIW My project is 95% done, but until I find someone to help with the last 5% it's on the back-burner. I've labored through L4-5 fusion, two strokes (Thanks, Pfizer) and now a torn labrum in my left shoulder.

Hindsight: I would've purchased a lift and come out waaaaaaaaaaay ahead.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
@Yotaismygame Compared to high end RR or drag columns, it's pretty basic- meaning I wouldn't use it in a vehicle I was driving everyday. It's attraction for me was it is a slam-dunk. Everything lined up dead-nuts.

FWIW My project is 95% done, but until I find someone to help with the last 5% it's on the back-burner. I've labored through L4-5 fusion, two strokes (Thanks, Pfizer) and now a torn labrum in my left shoulder.

I don't mind it being basic. I can weld aluminum so I was thinking I would add a bracket to hold the stock turn signal switch assembly and what ever else I need. As long as its sturdy and going to hold up I think Ill use it. Don't plan to drive the truck everyday. So far I have 850 miles on the build. Sounds like you've been having a rough time. Hang in there! Lifts are amazing. Not sure how I could have built this truck without one. Cant wait to see some footage of the build. I've been practicing launching my truck. Going to head to the track next week hopefully. I don't expect much since its not built for drag racing and Ill just be on street tires. I will say with these Falken Azenis 295 tires traction on the street at 10psi is just fine. Running a small turbo I'm not sure what power that is. My guess is 420-450hp. Trying hard not to turn it up more until next year. Id like to land around 500hp. But I dont have a posi installed yet and im sure at that power traction will be an issue the way it sits now. My buddy has a turbo s10 and likes hanging around the track. Im tempted to buy a drag tire setup over winter. My truck could be tuned for drag racing. Wouldn't bother me to setup it up for that in small increments. I really enjoy figuring out how to make my friends truck go faster using the holley software. Super annoying you need a cage to go fast than 11.5. Thats really not all that hard to with a turbo. We got kicked out last time for going 10.99. Coasted right after the 1/8th and on.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual

could you post a pic of your column wheel combo?

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
Update: Compressor outlet to TB complete (had to move the turbo, which meant rebuilding the exhaust....hey good times)

Once that is complete (my first attempt at mild steel to 304 SS for the 3" turbine outlet to 4" exhaust tubing), I'll finish the wiring and start tuning.

Slow boost response will not be a thing with this location. E85 only, no IC. The compressor outlet is 6" from the TB:
20220812_095643.jpg

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
In another thread I found out some rangers and 98-01 explorers have 33mm front sway bars. My local yard has several for $55. That's a lot cheaper than going with a 1.25" Belltech. I'll get to the bottom of this and report back.

Lowranger96

Reaction score
I'm the guy that used to have the white coyote swapped ranger with the original AJE front end. Some things I learned along the way:

The original AJE ranger this kit was designed for was a 97, they put their spindles on it and it was slammed. I actually tuned that truck as they are local to me and it rode like absolute garbage with the light 12" long springs and their struts. I knew I would have to do something different in that department.

My kit used the folded sheet towers vs the tubular towers. The first go around they did not fit whatsoever. They had to rework them and they still didn't fit. I ended up opening the holes up, getting them in the correct spot, welded washers in to put the holes in the correct spot, and then gave them back to them for them to make a jig or something. If you saw where this stuff is made you would understand the quality issues but at the end of the day they were just bending these towers up in a press with no real template - I assume this is why they changed them to the tubular style later

I also ran into the strut brace hitting the pressure switch on the master cylinder, i made them fix this issue with a modified brace. (Their truck did not have cruise control and the switch was not there). I wasn't really that surprised when they didn't transfer this change into their production pieces.

I ran my truck with their junk caster camber plates for a bit and then threw those and their struts, (I had already put 350lb springs on it) in the garbage and put Koni struts with maximum motorsports CC plates in. These plates mount on top of the strut tower and some brace and tower modifications had to be made. This did gain me enough bump travel to use normal sn95 spindles and run a 5" ish drop.

I also had positive camber issues and had to slot my struts in order to pull the camber in at the spindle while maxing out the CC plates. The original AJE coilover struts i ran had this adjustment built into the strut mount at the spindle but it wasn't as enough once i switched to the Koni's - it was well worth the switch anyways.

I too had issues with their engine mounts in the 2.3 world and the coyote. All of their mounts are designed after mustangs and not rangers and the engine placement is just not at all the same.

Overall the setup did what I needed it to do but certainly is not for the faint of heard and it's barely a bolt in.

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
Overall the setup did what I needed it to do but certainly is not for the faint of heard and it's barely a bolt in.
^^^ This from a fantastic fabricator- so be warned, folks.

Not a hijack, quick Q
@Lowranger96 ...I just remember who the guy was that built the gen 1 Ranger rear IRS.....it was gray: Gumby! That was him. Do you have his contact info? Even via pm? I've got to replace this 84 manual brake Ranger MC- it doesn't provide enough volume for the PBR front and GM calipers.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey gents long time no see! Happy thanksgiving first of all! Hope you all have a great one and full up on turkey!
Recently moved back up north so I put a majority of the build on the side just so I could transport it easier. Block is back from the shop and looking fantastic. Mild built 408 stroker, should push around 400-500na and I’ve got my 83/75’s (yes I did say 83mm turbos on a ranger.. they were on sale and I like to party 😅) still need heads and to talk with flotech about my custom cam. Once that’s done gonna move on to some fab stuff. Get the body off and replace my mounts, clean up the frame, put in the 8.8 and mock up 4 link mount a fuel cell, design a cage.. haha there’s so much left but hey we got a fuckin motor to stare at and that makes me happy 😂
2553263A-F536-4923-B568-B1A1DB330D0F.jpeg
A96A38D8-F991-45DE-B4BC-F87D425DA441.jpeg
2F1F3FB9-90A0-47A1-A0F3-444DEE76E8D2.jpeg
241B6954-514B-4A41-AEA2-B96CD663A859.jpeg
ED56DD80-8AB8-45F2-B3B6-F9F3D245DA42.png
D5177BD3-AAAB-490C-870B-35DA0F239856.jpeg
E39AEA57-CA44-40B4-9A31-000106822891.jpeg
374AC475-AD83-4C92-96AC-5059B48C5C6E.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals