• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AJE Ranger K-Member Who's Done It!?

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
things gonna be a fucking unit man! who are you doing your T56 through? was thinking about RPM they brand new units for about 4700 Lvl6 package. (1000wrtq) all though my build might not see that much but one or two times on a dyno maybe a track but its mainly just gonna be a fun toy to have. The next build will be abused XD
I bought a stock tremec unit. I think the 700 ft/lbs that they rate it for is going to be fine in our trucks because they're light comparatively. I don't plan on doing any hard launches or anything too crazy so I'll run it stock until it doesn't run. There's a local rebuilder near me that does 1200 ft/lb packages, so I'll go that route on a re-build if it doesn't hold up.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I'm really curious how the t56 mag fits. The firewall to tunnel transition is really tight. Unless you have surgery scheduled already. If you want something a little cheaper and don't need a double overdrive the TKX is a great unit. American powertrain does a " Extreme upgrade" which raises the wheel TQ rating to 900ft lbs. I checked a year ago and that was $1065 extra. Mine nearly dropped right in.

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know the seam between the tunnel and the firewall has about a 3/4" pinch weld that will most likely have to be folded back or cut out, but besides that I guess we'll find out together. I'm also planning on boxing the frame, so some modification is going to be required.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I know the seam between the tunnel and the firewall has about a 3/4" pinch weld that will most likely have to be folded back or cut out
I forgot about that. Did have to do that as well.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Either of you guys want to buy barely used sn95 qa1 single adjustable struts?

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Either of you guys want to buy barely used sn95 qa1 single adjustable struts?
My truck currently sits on a 3" dream beam drop in the front, and an axle flip in the back. I'm going for low as well. SN95's are about an inch longer than fox setups I think. I've already got the racecraft drop spindles on order. They should be here tomorrow.

Photo of my truck for anyone interested, well prior to being flooded :rolleyes:

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
My truck currently sits on a 3" dream beam drop in the front, and an axle flip in the back. I'm going for low as well. SN95's are about an inch longer than fox setups I think. I've already got the racecraft drop spindles on order. They should be here tomorrow.

Photo of my truck for anyone interested, well prior to being flooded :rolleyes:

Fox Struts are 1.6" shorter. I do recommend them if you're trying to get extra low. But with drop spindles you'll be plenty low as is. I now have fox struts on 2000 spindles with a 27.3" tire and a 1.5" fender gap. If I don't end up installing flares Ill leave it. With drop spindles on sn95 struts on my setup I could get that gap down to 1".

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fox Struts are 1.6" shorter. I do recommend them if you're trying to get extra low. But with drop spindles you'll be plenty low as is. I now have fox struts on 2000 spindles with a 27.3" tire and a 1.5" fender gap. If I don't end up installing flares Ill leave it. With drop spindles on sn95 struts on my setup I could get that gap down to 1".
Do you know what's included in the AJE kit, fox based? I havn't even opened all the boxes yet

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Do you know what's included in the AJE kit, fox based? I haven't even opened all the boxes yet
Nothing. Struts are junk and meant for Sn95 spindles. I wish they would allow us to buy individual parts like the mustang guys can. I don't know if the control arms are the same as the mustangs but if they are id rather just buy the k-member and strut towers then source the rest. That's what the mustang guys recommend doing. There's very little camber adjustment with the kit as it comes. You'll need to elongate the lower strut mount on the strut to achieve any negative camber. Contemplated adding heims to the control arms instead of bushings to adjust camber by lengthening the control arm. Right now I'm sitting at 1.5 degrees negative camber and still have a little more adjustment. I might dial it back to 1 next time I do an alignment. But this last go around has been the best yet. Finally going to start driving this thing regularly.
Fox strut height large.jpg

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Honestly if I could do it again I would look harder into using a mustang 2 front suspension. The amount of fab work I've done on this truck is crazy and when I bought the AJE kit that's not what I had planned.

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Nothing. Struts are junk and meant for Sn95 spindles. I wish they would allow us to buy individual parts like the mustang guys can. I don't know if the control arms are the same as the mustangs but if they are id rather just buy the k-member and strut towers then source the rest. That's what the mustang guys recommend doing. There's very little camber adjustment with the kit as it comes. You'll need to elongate the lower strut mount on the strut to achieve any negative camber. Contemplated adding heims to the control arms instead of bushings to adjust camber by lengthening the control arm. Right now I'm sitting at 1.5 degrees negative camber and still have a little more adjustment. I might dial it back to 1 next time I do an alignment. But this last go around has been the best yet. Finally going to start driving this thing regularly.
View attachment 75515
As far as I'm aware the LCA is the same just without a sway bar provision. I'll probably wind up buying adjustable LCA's and/or struts for all the AJE parts I don't end up liking. Its a waste of money and time but I'd rather not have junky parts on there.

Truck looks good though! How's the motor/turbo setup treating you?

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
It’s coming together for sure. Right now I’m only making 4.5psi. I need to inspect the turbo setup closer. I can hear a boost leak but cannot see it. I thought it was my boost gauge at first but its not. Even then though ill only be on spring pressure, 7 psi for awhile until I install a mac valve and control it. That coupled with 3.55 rear gears and the tkx gearing I need to switch to a 3.90 setup. So right now it makes okay power but feels kinda sluggish too me. Runs great though. Overall the truck doesn't feel like a truck. When I drive it I forget its a truck. Still need to do a lot of little stuff to make it more comfortable, like sound deadening and carpet. I have some metal fender flares coming. If I install those the rear will drop a few inches. Right now they'll hit unless I keep it up high. Wheels poke just a little bit. The front should be able to come down more once I get drop spindles.

My control arms have a spot for a sway bar. Factor in the cost of good struts, and drop spindles you're looking at around 3900 for front suspension. Which still doesn't include a steering rack or bump steer kit.

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It’s coming together for sure. Right now I’m only making 4.5psi. I need to inspect the turbo setup closer. I can hear a boost leak but cannot see it. I thought it was my boost gauge at first but its not. Even then though ill only be on spring pressure, 7 psi for awhile until I install a mac valve and control it. That coupled with 3.55 rear gears and the tkx gearing I need to switch to a 3.90 setup. So right now it makes okay power but feels kinda sluggish too me. Runs great though. Overall the truck doesn't feel like a truck. When I drive it I forget its a truck. Still need to do a lot of little stuff to make it more comfortable, like sound deadening and carpet. I have some metal fender flares coming. If I install those the rear will drop a few inches. Right now they'll hit unless I keep it up high. Wheels poke just a little bit. The front should be able to come down more once I get drop spindles.

My control arms have a spot for a sway bar. Factor in the cost of good struts, and drop spindles you're looking at around 3900 for front suspension. Which still doesn't include a steering rack or bump steer kit.
Which drop spindles did you get? That's my goal with my own truck I think is to make it not ride like a truck. Perhaps I should have just started with a mustang but what's the fun in that.

between the AJE Kit, racecraft spindles, baer brake kit, hubs and rack & pinion I'm already at $4100.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Which drop spindles did you get? That's my goal with my own truck I think is to make it not ride like a truck. Perhaps I should have just started with a mustang but what's the fun in that.

between the AJE Kit, racecraft spindles, baer brake kit, hubs and rack & pinion I'm already at $4100.
I haven’t yet. I will eventually.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals