• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AJE Ranger K-Member Who's Done It!?

clippii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven’t yet. I will eventually.
Quality of the welds and the machine work on the Racecraft seems very good. Mocked up the Bear brakes to check for fitment issues and so far so good. Pardon the wrong rotor on the wrong knuckle.

20220426_132817.jpg
20220426_132841.jpg
20220426_134552.jpg
20220426_134600.jpg

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I haven't decided which route ill go. I know a guy waiting on some spindles from AJE so ill see how those look first. I missed out on some barely used Racecraft spindles for $400! Day late :(

n2xlr8n

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LS
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
28x10.5
@n2xlr8n what spring rate did you go with?
@Yotaismygame There's so much to report that I'll likely miss something- I dumped the front AJE coil overs (junk, as you stated) for Vikings, and the rear suspension, well.....

Quicktime 9", 35 spline, 3.90 gears- I sold the Explorer 8.8 because I had already narrowed it and didn't realize the aftermarket doesn't make c-clip eliminators for the Explorer housing ends...so I said before I spend another dime on this housing, I'll go with something I'm familiar with- thus the 9".
PXL_20220331_213138377 (1).jpg

I've driven her about 5 miles so far. Baby steps...

Here's what I've learned about the AJE kit. The recommended 175lb springs from AJE were way too soft. Truck bounced and bottomed out on every bump.

Now here comes a rant: The AJE kit for a ranger is not meant to be slammed to the ground.
Good to hear! I'm closing in on firing it- probably 3 weeks of wiring away.

Yes- mine, too. The spring length is such that you lose 75% of the adjustability of the shock.

I'll see your rant and raise it to "The AJE kit was not meant for a first gen Ranger, period".
The fabrication I've done to make this "kit" safe and functional is ridiculous.

Honestly if I could do it again I would look harder into using a mustang 2 front suspension. The amount of fab work I've done on this truck is crazy and when I bought the AJE kit that's not what I had planned.
Fully agree.

Here's where I'm at presently. I just finished setting the rear ride height- I'll call Viking with the particulars tomorrow and get them going on my fr / rr shocks. I'm using Calvert split leafs with sliders- I dropped the rear of the perch ~2" for additional leverage. It was work; the frame rails are really too narrow, so I boxed in the frame where the sliders weld to the frame (via 2x3 gusseted tubing). Disregard the tack welds- I was running out of gas.

PXL_20220331_213138377 (1).jpg
PXL_20220501_004322712.jpgPXL_20220501_004346727.jpg

A few tidbits: My friend owns a large chunk of the LS aftermarket head porting service (and has his own castings, as well). He has provided almost 100% of the machining servce (and many parts). Wilkes Performance, fwiw.

One of the "cool kids" trends is using King XP bearings. I tried it - suffice to say I went back to Clevite. The pic below is of my freshly line honed, brand new crankshaft measured with King XP (lower sharpie on main cap) versus Clevite P (upper number). The measurements were dead on +/- 0.0002.
PXL_20220402_235645311 (1).jpg

Anyway, after all that drama- I assembled it and dropped the entire drivetrain in:
PXL_20220426_002910170.jpg

The only other thing I changed was I'm using E85. I prefer it over pump 93, and I'll probably run around on about 12-14 psi and run 18-20 during track passes.

Til next time!

Last edited:

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
There's so much to report that I'll likely miss something- I dumped the front AJE coil overs (junk, as you stated) for Vikings, and the rear suspension, well.....

Quicktime 9", 35 spline, 3.90 gears- I sold the Explorer 8.8 because I had already narrowed it and didn't realize the aftermarket doesn't make c-clip eliminators for the Explorer housing ends...so I said before I spend another dime on this housing, I'll go with something I'm familiar with- thus the 9".

Good to hear! I'm closing in on firing it- probably 3 weeks of wiring away.

Yes- mine, too. The spring length is such that you lose 75% of the adjustability of the shock.

I'll see your rant and raise it to "The AJE kit was not meant for a first gen Ranger, period".
The fabrication I've done to make this "kit" safe and functional is ridiculous.

Fully agree.

Here's where I'm at presently. I just finished setting the rear ride height- I'll call Viking with the particulars tomorrow and get them going on my fr / rr shocks. I'm using Calvert split leafs with sliders- I dropped the rear of the perch ~2" for additional leverage. It was work; the frame rails are really too narrow, so I boxed in the frame where the sliders weld to the frame (via 2x3 gusseted tubing). Disregard the tack welds- I was running out of gas.

A few tidbits: My friend owns a large chunk of the LS aftermarket head porting service (and has his own castings, as well). He has provided almost 100% of the machining servce (and many parts). Wilkes Performance, fwiw.

One of the "cool kids" trends is using King XP bearings. I tried it - suffice to say I went back to Clevite. The pic below is of my freshly line honed, brand new crankshaft measured with King XP (lower sharpie on main cap) versus Clevite P (upper number). The measurements were dead on +/- 0.0002.

Anyway, after all that drama- I assembled it and dropped the entire drivetrain in

The only other thing I changed was I'm using E85. I prefer it over pump 93, and I'll probably run around on about 12-14 psi and run 18-20 during track passes.

Til next time!
Glad to know you're still alive and healthy lol. I've got my truck running and driving. Just waiting for the weather to get better before I take her home from the shop. Finally got plates and insurance. I forget if I mentioned it already but for now im running 350lb front springs and 175 in the rear. I thought yukon made a C-clip eliminator for the explorer 8.8? Or just add 9" ends to the 8.8, but hey 9" upgrade! I still need to re-gear my 8.8 and add a posi. I have the posi but am undecided if ill go 3.90 or 4.10. Need more seat time to make that decision. I wish we had E85 around here.

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Found the solution I was looking for. Need to do the fronts and get drop spindles. This is a 2.75” flare with 1” spacers on a explorer 8.8 stock width. This will be final ride height in the rear. Not many options for flares. Tested multiple off Amazon then found these metal ones on eBay. Had to trim them a bit. Pretty sure I’ll mount the fronts higher then use the full 2” drop with spindles. Should level or be slightly raked forward.

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey you guys recommended fox body parts (rack/spindles correct?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Found the solution I was looking for. Need to do the fronts and get drop spindles. This is a 2.75” flare with 1” spacers on a explorer 8.8 stock width. This will be final ride height in the rear. Not many options for flares. Tested multiple off Amazon then found these metal ones on eBay. Had to trim them a bit. Pretty sure I’ll mount the fronts higher then use the full 2” drop with spindles. Should level or be slightly raked forward.
Looks Fuckin sweet

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Flares look awesome

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
(Sorry for the shitty picture) Currently working a boat at my job and haven’t had much time to get out in the garage. Because I’m limited on power all I had was a cut off wheel and hopes 😂 but In the end I got it done. Frame is in better condition than I was expecting, the entire drivers side had power steering leaked on it for who knows how long and built up quite a bit of dirt and who knows what else. I have family coming in town this weekend so I’m gonna try and get out tomorrow after work and clean it up a bit I’ll post better pics and maybe even have a slight mock up
B2D5B006-F86F-4BCF-ADD4-70A61082F151.jpeg

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Finished my flares tonight. Just need drop spindles now. Configured boost control in the Holley software and now I need to re-gear and install a posi.

2AC2423D-3C57-4528-BA55-845DACED4FE8.png
1EFD004E-BF17-420F-B670-1E89AFB1E2C7.jpeg
AC8B365A-87F3-4D7E-AB42-3ACC8E191264.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Yotaismygame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash 2wd
Transmission
Manual
the way it sits and looks, to anyone who doesn't know its just a lowered ranger when in reality it'll hurt alot of feelings haha ;)
Im eager to start putting new parts in place instead of just cutting stuff out
Can’t wait to drive her more when the weather gets nicer. The 5spd and small turbo is fun so far and I’m only pushing 7.5lbs. I kept the cam small too so there’s lots of tq out of boost.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals