• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air volume, Electric turbo???

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
great stuff. So if i go a real turbo, since i'm driving a 1994 4.0 would i need a seperate computer to control everything, mtr,turbo,timing,etc. it seems everything i read says you can't tune this eec much and I havent found a CA shop close by that programs them. What about the $900 ebay kit junk or good starting point?

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
If your air to fuel ratio is optimal and your timing doesn't advance enough to cause detonation, you should be able to run 5-6 lbs of boost without touching the engine's rotating assembly.

As for getting the correct amount of fuel into the engine while using the stock computer, there's a variety of tricks ranging from expensive and involving to cheap and risky. I've heard of everything from larger injectors and recalibrating the MAF sensor to purchasing a mega-squirt or sniper system.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh my! Shouldn't we have a "hair dryer" sticky in this forum? Get a turbo! You'll be far happier!

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ebay kit, no. Junk.

50hp dry shot, no. You'll be filling bottles constantly. and 50hp will leave you craving more.

Just do a remote mount turbo set-up. Bigger injectors an such, and have it tuned. Look into SCT, thats who i use and i swear by them

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
...My question is? is there a converstion from foot lbs of thrust to Boost psi.?...
Well thrust is a function of air flow rate, air velocity, and enthalpy.

The relationship (what you're refering to as "conversion") between flow rate and boost (output pressure) would be given on the pump curve for the fan you reference. However, given that said fan is design to produce thrust on a model air plane, I highly doubt the manufacturer bothered having the testing done to establish a pump curve.

Without analyzing this idea, I have to go with my gut feeling that it's no where big enough and won't work. :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well thrust is a function of air flow rate, air velocity, and enthalpy.

The relationship (what you're refering to as "conversion") between flow rate and boost (output pressure) would be given on the pump curve for the fan you reference. However, given that said fan is design to produce thrust on a model air plane, I highly doubt the manufacturer bothered having the testing done to establish a pump curve.

Without analyzing this idea, I have to go with my gut feeling that it's no where big enough and won't work. :icon_thumby:
I googled enthalpy but I need the explanation dumbed down for me:dunno:
Thanks,
Richard

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Enthalpy is basically the internal energy of the fluid (in this case air) being moved by the fan.

If you can get your hands a fluid mechanics textbook it should have all the thrust equations somewhere near the end. Of course, you'll probably have to read the rest of the book to understand them...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Enthalpy is basically the internal energy of the fluid (in this case air) being moved by the fan.

If you can get your hands a fluid mechanics textbook it should have all the thrust equations somewhere near the end. Of course, you'll probably have to read the rest of the book to understand them...
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'd have to read more than just the one book:D. Too many projects, not enough time:sad:
Richard

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
look up sts (squire turbo systems) for a more cost-effective approach

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I saw somewhere in here the question, what is the CFM intake of an OHV 4.0. I didnt see an answer, Im not sure of the CFM however all motors run at 1 bar which is 17.4 lbs-ft of air. THis is normal atmospheric pressure I believe.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If your air to fuel ratio is optimal and your timing doesn't advance enough to cause detonation, you should be able to run 5-6 lbs of boost without touching the engine's rotating assembly.

As for getting the correct amount of fuel into the engine while using the stock computer, there's a variety of tricks ranging from expensive and involving to cheap and risky. I've heard of everything from larger injectors and recalibrating the MAF sensor to purchasing a mega-squirt or sniper system.
If using the high grade octane he should be able to run upwards of 8-9 lbs of boost without messing with the stock internals. He will need a programmer to regualter air/fuel. But wont be too difficult, and he can Use the Maf sensor of a 5.0 mustang for the increased range of greater airflow.

Also he can add a SNOperformance water/meth system and the it will be a dramatically increased source of pretection from detonation. Theres not alot of supercharger/ turbo charger fans on our site, I would read up on some of the mustang sites for your turbo knowledge. Especially Mustangworld.com We have so many directions we focus on iwth 4 wheeling and engine swaps and mods but they focus only on goign faster most of them.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So I saw somewhere in here the question, what is the CFM intake of an OHV 4.0. I didnt see an answer, Im not sure of the CFM however all motors run at 1 bar which is 17.4 lbs-ft of air. THis is normal atmospheric pressure I believe.
Ah.... you've got that a little mixed up...

First off, ft-lbs are the wrong units for pressure. Pressure is force per area.

Atmospheric pressure (at sea level) is equal to:

14.7 psia (pounds per square inch absolute)
0.0 psig (pounds per square inch gauge)
1.0 bara (bar absolute)
0.0 barg (bar gauge)
1.0 atma (atmosphere absolute)
0.0 atmg (atmosphere gauge)
101325 Paa (pascals absolute)
0.0 Pag (pascals gauge)
101.325 kPaa (kilo-pascals absolute)
0.0 kPag (kilo-pascals gauge)
101325 Newtons per square meter absolute
0.0 Newtons per square meter gauge

etc
etc
etc

The things you wind end up memorizing in engineering school :shok: :icon_confused:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And that was a weird response, though I'm, sure he transposed the 4 and the 7.

Atmospheric pressure and the volumetric efficiency of an engine are seperate issues.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Dont forget...
760 mmHg (Torr)
29.92 inHg

And figuring out what amount of boost an engine "should" be able to handle is not something that can calculated via some internet calculator. Detonation is what kills engines, not "boost".

Fuel, air fuel ratio, timing, combustion chamber design, piston design, turbo size, intercooler size and efficiency, atmospheric conditions such as air temp, elevation, all factor in...

Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level and is considered absolute zero when considering positive boost. All others held constant, a vehicle in Denver CO will experience much less atmospheric pressure and will run alot worse than a vehicle crusing around the beach at sea level.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals