• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Springs

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
OK,OK, I know that the purpose of these are to improve ride and handling while towing or with a load. But I cannot help but to think of how good the ride was in my Mercury with air springs. Can these be adjusted so to take the load while normal driving and not be bouncy or a jolt at every bump or crack? While I wouldn't be heartbroken for achieving a Rolls Royce ride, my expectations are just a tad less.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK,OK, I know that the purpose of these are to improve ride and handling while towing or with a load. But I cannot help but to think of how good the ride was in my Mercury with air springs. Can these be adjusted so to take the load while normal driving and not be bouncy or a jolt at every bump or crack? While I wouldn't be heartbroken for achieving a Rolls Royce ride, my expectations are just a tad less.

I think you would have to get rid of a couple springs first. Then the bags would be taking the place of the removed spring capacity. The shocks are what control the bounce and bump. You would have to tune the shocks for the ride you want, probably not possible with stock shocks.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am aware that air shocks, not springs, can be tuned. Can they be tuned for a better ride, or do they go from firm to really firm depending what you need for the load?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unhook the 2 shocks on the rear

Push down on bumper/bed, that is the best ride you can get with those leaf springs
If its stiff then you need different springs, lower load rating

Shocks/air bags can stiffen up ride, but can't help an already stiff ride

Pickups are rated, in this case, for 1,000lbs more weight, 1/2 ton, so are "over-sprung" in most cases
Some come with lower rated leaf springs and then an overload spring on each side, this costs more but did come with some Rangers

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^
Basically what I was trying to say. If you put in bags and want a softer ride, you need to get rid of some springs. And there are shocks that are tunable with a twist of a knob. I'm not sure how the whole thing would work together but that's the best I can come up with for basically stock components. If you want you could go with an Ori shock, which is like an air shock but more complex. It takes the place of the springs and shocks in one package. Its used in off road applications. Again, no personal experience.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@alwaysFlOoReD : I think you mean get rid of some leaves, not springs :)

The limit is you pull all but the main leaf out of the spring back - that will be a cushy as you can get. Then use the air bags to restore load carrying capacity.
That's basically what the 5.0 Explorer Unlimited had - soft springs and air shock to level/restore load capacity.​

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@alwaysFlOoReD : I think you mean get rid of some leaves, not springs :)

The limit is you pull all but the main leaf out of the spring back - that will be a cushy as you can get. Then use the air bags to restore load carrying capacity.
That's basically what the 5.0 Explorer Unlimited had - soft springs and air shock to level/restore load capacity.​
That's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying .

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can take all the leaf springs out, build a 4 bar linkage to hold the axle in place, and then get air springs to support the vehicle. Most air springs are non-linear, which is part of why they make a nice ride - they have a lower spring rate for small deflections and as they compress the spring rate increases. However, that works much better for a car that has a fairly limited range of weight. For a truck that can have a large amount of weight variation, just an air spring is not a great choice (unless its just a cruiser/show vehicle).

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Given the big rigs often have just air spring and a lot of guys with F-450/550s pull their springs for air suspensions to improve the ride, not to mention Ram is doing it for their pick ups, there must be something to it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals