• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air in fuel line - what to do next?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thank you! Did you ever have any issues with yours being bypassed?
Youre talking about the little black can inbetween the tank and hi pressure pump?

You can buy a new one for about 80 bucks

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Where? Shows as unavailable/discontinued everywhere I have seen. Part # is E7TA-9K044-AA.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can install a larger fuel filter in its place, or another cartridge type filter, what that part was there for was as a fuel reservoir for the high pressure pump
The return line can just be spliced, it doesn't need to go thru the new filter

High pressure pumps have no suction, low pressure pumps do, its the difference in the way they work
i.e. the old mechanical pumps on the engine could suck fuel from inside a gas tank 10feet away, and up and over the top of the tank

If you removed the low pressure pump in the tank and just had high pressure pump in the frame rail it might work as long as the "siphon" effect kept fuel in the hose at the high pressure pump
But as soon as "siphon" was lost, no start, siphon would be lost if you went around a corner with under 1/8 tank, lol
Which is why the low pressure pump and that canister filter is there

Yes, if the original canister filter was getting clogged up, or bad valve, that would have caused cavitation in the low pressure pump, causing the air
If the canister was leaking you would have smelled that, or seen it

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Where? Shows as unavailable/discontinued everywhere I have seen. Part # is E7TA-9K044-AA.
They used to be as of a few years ago. I looked after i typed that and couldnt find any either.
You can install a larger fuel filter in its place, or another cartridge type filter, what that part was there for was as a fuel reservoir for the high pressure pump
The return line can just be spliced, it doesn't need to go thru the new filter

High pressure pumps have no suction, low pressure pumps do, its the difference in the way they work
i.e. the old mechanical pumps on the engine could suck fuel from inside a gas tank 10feet away, and up and over the top of the tank

If you removed the low pressure pump in the tank and just had high pressure pump in the frame rail it might work as long as the "siphon" effect kept fuel in the hose at the high pressure pump
But as soon as "siphon" was lost, no start, siphon would be lost if you went around a corner with under 1/8 tank, lol
Which is why the low pressure pump and that canister filter is there

Yes, if the original canister filter was getting clogged up, or bad valve, that would have caused cavitation in the low pressure pump, causing the air
If the canister was leaking you would have smelled that, or seen it
Not all the canisters had filters in them though. I dont know what would happen if you put a filter in one that didnt have one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nothing bad would happen, it was just being used as a reservoir, with or without filter didn't matter

Even an inline filter could act as enough of a reservoir so high pressure pump would have fluid at startup
Ford just had ALOT of that type of canister filter housings from the "bad ol' days" :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the only issue you would have without the reservoir, the way you have it now, is it may start up and then stall(or barely run for a few seconds), but could just be restarted
And shouldn't happen that often
But Ford couldn't sell a vehicle like that, lol, which is why they have the reservoir

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
An canister filter to act as a reservoir! Excellent tip and a cheap solution. Thank you.

It actually fires right up and idles fine right now. Still a sloppy proof-of-concept bypass so haven't taken it on the road yet, will clean things up (and add a check valve then a canister filter in the supply line before the high pressure pump) before taking it out. First chore that is overdue is get some wood for the stove, so it will get a fully-loaded, going-up-a-hill test in short order.

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They used to be as of a few years ago. I looked after i typed that and couldnt find any either.

Not all the canisters had filters in them though. I dont know what would happen if you put a filter in one that didnt have one.
The ones without a filter are sealed from the factory you would not be able to unscrew the reservoir.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you cross that engineering number to a service part number, you get

E7TZ9K044A

Searching on rearcounter.com shows NOS Parts LTD has one.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The ones without a filter are sealed from the factory you would not be able to unscrew the reservoir.
Mine unscrewed and didnt have a filter

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I never bypassed it, just put it back once I learned the filter wasn’t in it anymore. I believe it’s there to provide extra volume of gas to the high speed pump under heavy acceleration.

-Jazzer

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I feel the best option is to just remove the factory fuel delivery system (low pressure in tank pump, frame mounted high pressure pump and the fuel canister) and just throw it in the garbage. Then just put a high pressure fuel pump in the tank and a frame mounted in-line fuel filter. Make a couple new nylon lines to connect it. That's what I did when faced with having to replace pumps on my Bronco II.

fixessaxes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I got curious and took apart the fuel reservoir. It was indeed a broken check valve. No filter, but it was the kind you can unscrew and it had an o-ring in it.

I am going to permanently remove the check valve in the reservoir (doesn't appear to be a replaceable part), put an inline check valve just before the reservoir, and put it back together that way. System will still act the same, the reservoir will be there for whatever reason if it is necessary, and since all my other parts work it will be a cheap fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals