• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

air bubble?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
97 sohc, replaced the thermostat housing, thermostat, both sensors, all the hoses are new. both hoses coming from the fire wall are hot, lower and upper hose are hot. radiator is actually not that hot, i can set my hand on the radiator longer than i can the hoses. temp guage wont come off cold, i have grounded the wire, the guage spikes hot. driving thru town about 30 mins for work, guage stays cold, i never turn the fans on, it doesnt over heat. i got the guage to come up about 1/4 way once, and i was railing it in 2nd gear in the snow for like a minute.

i seem to remember that these sohc engines typically get a air bubble when you fill them. and what i always did at the dealership (forgot this time) was to fill the engine before i put the thermostat in,

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If upper rad hose gets warm/hot then there is no air at temp devices on thermostat housing

There are two different kinds of temp detecting devices
12volt Sender for the dash board gauge
5volt Sensor for the computer

They are not interchangeable of course

But plugs are often the same :)

When I go to parts store and ask for a SENDER, I will be given a sensor first time every time, sensor will have a cone shaped tip
Sender will have a cylinder shaped tip

If gauge goes up when its wire is grounded then either Sender is bad or its ground wire is, 4.0l SOHC has plastic housing so sender needs a ground wire
If you pull off its connector and put in a jumper wire, then turn on the key you should get the same high temp reading as grounding the one wire
If so then sender is bad

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did add a ground wire, to a local piece of steel. later realized it was attached to aluminum, wasnt sure if that mattered. so i extended it to the fire wall. it made no difference. ive been wondering if the connection inside the plug itself is bad. the 2 sensor and sender have different plugs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to drain some coolant and pull it out, its a pretty simple setup, if wire and gauge work replace sender

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals