• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Box Modification, More Cold Air?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, here I go.

The article PJ412 posted shared that in the Dodge Demon, when cool AC air was diverted from the cabin to the inter cooler performance was enhanced but, AC air to the cabin is non-existent when diverted. What if, just saying, a setup allowed ‘shared’ use of the AC air in our Rangers? A switch would allow full cabin AC, shared cabin AC and intake AC, or full intake AC. This is damn near genius!! Imagine the year round performance enhancement with cold air ON DEMAND!!

OK PJ412, your mission, if you choose to accept it (notice the Mission Impossible reference, LOL), is to design this system and post your final product. High amp alternator, e-fan, baffles similar to a home AC system that allows one system to independently cool two separate floors via separate thermostats (I put this system in some of the houses I remodel), etc? Why not the same for cars/trucks? When it hits the aftermarket as a ‘bolt on’ or ‘clamp on’ I only want 10% of the gross (before expenses) of the patent licensing or production, from whomever develops it. This could be aftermarket and become an option or standard on new vehicles (same 10% applies).

Groundbreaking!!
In the Lightning world, there is a product called the Killer Chiller which does the same thing. It actually does away with the heat-exchanger under the bumper in it's entirety and uses the ac system to cool the incoming air. It's great for drive-ability, but BAD for using the ac in the cabin. It's also a major PITA to install. I've passed on it and never intend to use it. But those who do have it say their intake temperatures are winter like all year long.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mopar. 🤘🏿

I toyed with the idea of ac... but why cram it in when methanol works as well?

So. I have methanol injection. Even on n/a its worth doing. If you're insane. Which I am.

When tuned properly, 8%/8%/8% increase in fuel efficiency, power, and emissions.

And oh gods that arctic blue washer fluid smells amazing when it burns.....

Demonstrated effects: chemical intercooler, lowers combustion chamber temperature, steam cleaning, octane booster, anti detonant, extra fuel, minor steam engine effect where expanding water vapor in the combustion chamber does provide a bit more downward force on the piston.

I'm happy I did it. Pieced it together off Amazon with a diaphragm pump and devils own nozzle. Everything else is lowes. Around $100 all in, could be done for much less with agricultural sprayer tips. I sprung for the DO nossle with fi in mind.
Yup. There's a company right here in Oklahoma City that sells a top quality water/methanol injection setup. Can't remember the name though. But you're right, all you have to do is use that Artic blue washer fluid, it's already 50/50 water/methanol right out of the bottle. And drops intake temperature real good to boot.

When I think of the company name I'll edit this post. It's right on the tip of my tongue. LOL!

Got it. Devils Own. Knew it'd pop up in my old head sooner or later. LOL!!

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Yup. There's a company right here in Oklahoma City that sells a top quality water/methanol injection setup. Can't remember the name though. But you're right, all you have to do is use that Artic blue washer fluid, it's already 50/50 water/methanol right out of the bottle. And drops intake temperature real good to boot.

When I think of the company name I'll edit this post. It's right on the tip of my tongue. LOL!
Almost! Arctic blue is usually 30/70 meth:water, sometimes as low as 20/80 in the summer.

Boost juice from snow performance is 50/50, and is truly top shelf stuff.

You can use pure distilled water alone, and it absolutely works as a evaporative cooler with FI setups, but will result in lower gains for n/a. Still worth doing in my book. Just remember distilled water freezes, though....

Rumor has it red washer fluid is also 50/50, but I'm not brave enough to try it; it typically has glycols in it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I really should put a Devil's Own system in my Lightning. Then I believe I could do away with the use of 93 octane all together. Even in the old Ranger. It's a ping monster. For some reason, the 93 octane is causing issues in my 4.0 Mustang. And I'm prone to thinking if it's causing issues in one, it affects them all. Might be the reason the Ranger is showing the 171/174 codes again. I'll clear the computer and try running 91 in it again, see if it stays clean like it has been for several years.

Check this. When I first bought the Stang, I started running the 93. Got P0300 Random Misfire codes immediately. So for a month, ran only 91 and had no codes at all. Then two weeks ago, put two gallons of 93 into an almost full tank. Boom, clean computer had P0300 within 40 miles. On just two gallons? WTF? Been running 91 since, computer clean once again. I don't get it? Too much alcohol in the fuel to make it 93? Here in Oklahoma, if the fuel has alcohol in it, the pump has to state it. This one doesn't say anything about alcohol. But something is clearly amiss.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so cars can run on water technically? I thought a car that runs on water is called a boat. HAHA

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so cars can run on water technically? I thought a car that runs on water is called a boat. HAHA
Water injection was first used in WWII to boost fighter performance. Same with Nitrous Oxide. The Germans first used it in WWII to boost fighter performance. Water injection is just a mist of water sprayed in before the carb or throttle body. As the water evaporates going through the intake, it turns to steam before it ever enters the combustion chamber. Turning to steam it absorbs the heat out of the intake air, cooling it. Edelbrock I believe, was the first to offer a true kit. I had one in my 70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400. The system used both vacuum and RPM to determine how much water to inject.

The affect can be felt if you're out driving, and say pass a farmers field where his sprinklers are running, and the air in the local area is "wet". You can feel the vehicle smooth out and run better in that area. With water injection, you can has it all the time. And add methanol for a performance kick in the pants.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think one day next week I'll take a drive over to Devil's Own and talk with them about systems for my Lightning and Ranger. Ranger first as I need to get that thing running something other than 93 octane. Currently, if I run even 91, I get the marbles in a tin can sound at high throttle and rpm. Water injection, by turning the water to steam, actually has the affect of steam cleaning the internals. So it's highly possible it could help rid the thing of 22 years and 169,000 miles of carbon deposits, over time.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Your fuel pump is dying. Kemso 340 is a perfect replacement, $35 on ebay. My 2011 did the exact same thing. No fuel pressure sensor on ranger, so the pcm has no idea whats going on.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your fuel pump is dying. Kemso 340 is a perfect replacement, $35 on ebay. My 2011 did the exact same thing. No fuel pressure sensor on ranger, so the pcm has no idea whats going on.
Replaced the fuel pump in January 2017. It still shows fuel pressure in the required range, 56 to 72 psi. Last check a few weeks ago, 66 psi idling.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Eh

Vulcan

Ping ping ping ping........ 😘

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
My 3.0 never pings, not the slightest hint and I’ve never put anything but 87 in it. Something is wrong.

When gas prices took off around 1980 I made a water injection system for the 289 in my ‘66 Mustang. I was a broke high school kid and could not afford premium. It used hypodermic needles mounted in the air cleaner cover and a washer pump. There was no choke plate on the Autolite 4100, and it sprayed washer fluid into the primary throttle bores. I experimented with various ways of turning it on, but didn’t understand much about load/detonation then. It did work well.

Bet it was clean inside.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals