• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Bags

chucknjen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
NV Chuck here. My daughter had a bit of a wreck in her 2006 Ranger XLT FX4 Super Cab and both drivers’ side and passenger side airbags deployed. A local shop ran diagnostics and came up with codes: #B1231 RCM MODULE DATA FULL//AIR BAG MODULE//#B1932 DR’S AIR BAG AND CLOCK SPRING//#1933 PASSENGER AIR BAG//#1877 SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER PASSENGER SIDE//#B1881 SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER DR’S SIDE. Shop owner provided an estimate with NEW Ford parts ($$$-Ouch!). He said that the parts had to be Ford brand in order for all of them to “talk” to each other and to enable a successful system reset (also, for his repair to be compliant from a liability standpoint). I found a salvage Ranger with all those parts in it and for much less $. My question is: if I install these used Ford parts (RCM, bags, pretensioners, clock spring), will the shop be able to complete a successful system reset given that these used parts have a different VIN # associated with them?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yes. Now whether or not the shop will do it is another thing. also there is a company that will rebuild the seatbelt pretensioners for about 60 bucks if I remember correctly with new belts and what not. that might be the way to go for the seat belts. All of the other stuff should be able to be swapped over and programmed in.

Check out this video from SamCrac on the seat belt systems, he does three cars, an Audi RS7, Chevy Corvette, and Ford Fusion RS. my guess the Fusion will be similar to your Ranger

about 9 minutes in for the Ford. I guess Ford makes a much better seatbelt/ airbag system then most others. He lists the place where he gets them rebuilt in the links in the vid.

AJ

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Theres no vin communication between those modules so swapping from one truck to another is not an issue but you need to get them from the right truck. Only 2004-2006 rangers will be compatible, so not a huge spectrum to search from. 2007-2009 "might" work. Definitely nothing pre 2004 or post 2009.

chucknjen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies - very helpful. A few more questions re: this 2006 XLT FX4 Super Cab Ranger...
1) Are "RCM" (restraint control module?), "ACM" (airbag control module?), and "Airbag Module" considered synonymous terms? In other words, are they just different acronyms/terms for the same thing?
2) Is SRS (Supplemental Restraint System?) another way of saying seatbelts? And, if so, does that include the pretensioner/"female" buckle (at the side and under the seat) AND the (roll-out) belt (w/"male" insert) that goes over the shoulder?
3) Where are the impact/crash sensors located? Are they mounted in the front bumper area or are they housed with the Airbag Module?

chucknjen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I figured out the answers to the 1st two questions from my last post on Fri, 3/20.
However, I'm still wondering about the location of the crash/impact sensors on this 2006 XLT FX4 Super Cab Ranger
If anyone has a clue it would be much appreciated!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Should be under the radiator support crossmember.

chucknjen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Great! Thank you. I'll take a look there

chucknjen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
RATS! Even though I took out the radiator and the A/C condenser, I wasn't able to find the 2 crash sensors under the radiator support cross member. I have read that they could be part of the RCM (brain), that's located under the trim in front of the gear shifter, but I just don't know.
All that turning and pulling did get me thinking though...perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. Instead of being concerned where the crash sensors are located, maybe I should be asking if they need to be replaced after an airbag deployment (i.e. do they go bad once the system is touched off).
If they don't retain memory of an airbag deployment, and they don't go bad (like some of the other system components) following an airbag deployment, then they shouldn't cause my replacement airbags, pretensioners, and clock spring to re-deploy once I reconnect the battery after reinstalling everything, right?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ill take a pic of where mine are located when I get home. Mines an 09 but should be same location.

chucknjen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi Dirtman.
I don't wanna be pushy but did you happen to take pic's of the impact/crash sensors on your '09?
Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals