• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air bag sensors.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone I didn't know where to post this so please move it if its wrong.
I need to know where the airbag sensors are on a 2000 3.0 4x4 and the basic workings of the drivers side airbag. I need to remove it to check some things out my airbag light is on, I know the procedure to get it out but I don't know how it all functions and what part may be bad that caused my airbag light to come on and cruise control not to work. Both airbags are in the vehicle. Any info would be great I want to trade it in but with the light on they will rape me even worse on the trade thanks in advance for any info. The light is flashing a 32.

Last edited:

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Ok after some research im pointing to the clock spring I still don't know what im doing in the steering wheel,I know to unhook the negative on the battery for like an hour and turn the lights on before touching it.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disable air bag:

Ignition off, unhook battery cables (both) for two minutes. Side air bags will have a disable switch. I've done this procedure a few times and removed the steering wheel bag with no problems. The backup power supply does not hold a charge very long.

The system works with sensors that send their signal back to the electronic diagnostic monitor (EDM) if there is sufficient G force at impact, which inflates the air bags. The EDM supplies the power to the system and checks the system when you turn the vehicle on. If there is a problem the light will stay on or flash. You are right that a clock spring or coil assembly in the steering wheel transmits the signal to the EDM, but I don't think you should mess with the system yourself as your life or someone else's may depend on it. It's not as if you can test the system by setting it off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals