• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air assist shock VS spring assist shock.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
firestone. cheap and available

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had airbags on the front of my loosely sprung B2 which carried a 500# Western snow plow in the winter. I have airbags in the back of my FJ Cruiser with which I tow a single axle trailer with a 7,000# axle. My track loader is on it, or right now it has a pallet of pre-mix concrete. The airbags don't lift anything. What they do is inflate into the springs and lock the coils together. You have to inflate them before you put the load on. They work great at that point.

On my school bus I installed an aftermarket air-ride kit. It unhooks the rear mounts of the leaf springs and puts bags under them. They are bags meant to carry a load without the assistance of a coil to keep them together. They are the same bags you see when you look under a modern road tractor. You inflate them and the rear of the bus rises. That's not what coil-helper bags do.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Air shocks carry the weight on the tiny shock mounts. Don't use those. Back when I was a kid we used them to fit massive G60 tires on our hotrods, but they didn't carry any weight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals