• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Again? Ranger shown at Detroit Auto show

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
For their part, Ford officials have said they don’t intend to re-enter the midsize pickup segment. But they also note they have a model, dubbed Ranger, sold in many global markets that could be adapted to U.S. requirements should the midsize market rebound significantly.
Lets not forget that Ford invested very little in the Ranger from 1998-2011. The only reason they had the truck was because other manufacturers had midsize trucks. This is a country of full size trucks, and Ford would rather sell you a F150. If there was a huge boom in the midsize truck market, Ford would bring back the Ranger so they wasn't losing money to other manufacturers.

Remember that when Datsun and Toyota started importing their mini trucks, Ford partnered with Mazda to offer the Courier until Ford engineers could design and release the Ranger. They only created the Ranger as a necessity to compete with the import mini trucks.

Likewise, they'll only bring the Ranger back if they see other manufacturers raking in the sales of mid size trucks.

As far as the name, Ford would probably choose the 'Ranger' name over the F100 name because they know there's people out there that would be excited to bring it back.

The only way I would want to see a 'F100' name was if Ford built a modern version of the old F100 picks like they did with the Mustang.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I keep reading the the new small Ford truck maybe called F100. Ford thinks it would make the F series sales numbers look better ? Isn't that cheating the numbers. So they think they would add the Ranger, F150 and Super Duty together all under F Series so they can say the F Series is the best selling truck. Why not add the Explorer in there too and call it F-SUV and maybe the Mustang and call it F-Sport . That would be as stupid as Ford calling the Ranger F100.

Mike Tonon

Ford would rather sell you a F150.
Then I'll just keep my 07 Ranger.

Honestly, I'd like to see a Ranger sized, newer F-350, but with more of the character of a 1983-87 Ranger. (red interior, chrome trim, wood grain dash, similar looking but modernized gauge cluster, etc.) and a true-4-door cab with at least a 6' bed. How about aluminum rims that look like the xlt steelies from the mid 1980's Rangers, but sleeker. The ones that had two-tone, black and silver paint and trim rings?

CajunPwnStar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Would love to see the 2.7L EcoBoost in a new Ranger. I'm not an oversized truck kind of guy. I have a small driveway and I commute to an area that is filled with oil companies, so traffic is at a stand still most of the time on a little two lane road. Because of this, I'm looking forward to the DuraMax Colorado, but if Ford's marketing department would stop having a dick measuring contest and release a diesel Ranger, I would jump all over it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
F100 sounds good to me, you have the F150 and F250 why not keep it in the family, F100 for light duty.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't care what Ford calls it as long as it is about the same size as a Ranger. The current 150s are crazy big.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then I'll just keep my 07 Ranger.

Honestly, I'd like to see a Ranger sized, newer F-350, but with more of the character of a 1983-87 Ranger. (red interior, chrome trim, wood grain dash, similar looking but modernized gauge cluster, etc.) and a true-4-door cab with at least a 6' bed. How about aluminum rims that look like the xlt steelies from the mid 1980's Rangers, but sleeker. The ones that had two-tone, black and silver paint and trim rings?
I would love to find a rolled 99-03.5 SD and put a 80-86 F-Series body on it.

I went to the new car show in Omaha last weekend. Ford's offerings were pretty sad. For trucks was a King Ranch Powerstroke diesel (dunno if it was a 250 or 350, didn't care) a King Ranch F-150, a FX4 F-150 and a Platnum F-150. Not one N/A V8 among them. I got excited when I spied a XL sitting off its lonesome... but it was locked up tighter than a tick. All other brands (except maybe Nissan) had a much more diverse showing... but that is exactly what Ford is pushing. Bigger and bolder than anybody has bigger and bolded before.

For the compacts I liked the old Taco over the Colorado... being the only new truck in the US of A to still offer a manual is a big perk although it doesn't really feel much bigger inside side to side than my '85 Ranger. The Colorado was bigger but felt really cheap.

Kind of a scary feeling, while I do love my '02 F-150 it isn't getting any younger... and a feasible replacement doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals