• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket Radio recommendations

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This ain't for me, if it were my truck I'd probably put in an android headunit. It's going to be for my dad's 2000 or 2002 Ranger, and want something mainstream and easy to learn and use.

He's never been much into aftermarket audio stuff as long as the radio worked he was happy. He bought a new F-150 last year and likes the way the radio is setup and the built in backup camera. He asked me the other day if something similar could be put in the Ranger. He's already got a backup camera with a screen that he can sit up on top of the dash, but he wants something built in. I think he would also like to have the built in hands free, the ability to use navigation, and stream music from cell phone. He said he doesn't care about having CD as long as he can stream music from his phone.

He's in his late 60s. He just barely uses a smart phone. I don't think he's interested in learning a complex system or the extra work of an android type unit. I think something mainstream with an OEM like interface would be much better. He's also retired and on a relatively small budget. My experience is limited to older single din head units and the android based units. As such I'm asking for suggestions and recommendations.

Installation isn't an issue, just not sure about the actual units.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Does it need internal navigation, or would he be comfortable using the nav app on his phone?

I've mentioned them before, but the bottom end Boss units that support (wired) Apple CarPlay and Android Auto actually work well. Between my parents and I, we have three of them. Including a camera and installation gear, you can get it for $250 from Crutchfield.

During the pandemic it was a mess to get higher end brands so I rolled the dice on one of these. No regrets after more than a year.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I honestly don't know. The F-150 has it built in. He likes that it is there, but I don't know that he's ever actually used it. I've never actually used Android Auto to know how it works. The android based head unit in my F-250 supposedly has it, but I've never used it because hot spotting with the phone works better.

I'll definitely add it to the list of ones to check out.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It just gives you a direct interface on the radio to a set of apps on the phone designed for that use. Google Maps might be the only one he'd really use. There's a button on the radio to activate the microphone and launch the assistant so you can ask it to route you somewhere.

*Press button
*Google beeps back to know it's ready to listen
*Navigate to Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana

The radio confirms where you're going and starts the routing process.

Any radio that supports AA or Carplay will work in more or less the same way. Just plug in the phone and launch the AA/Carplay app, then use it accordingly. One convenient aspect is that if you ever rent a car, the user experience is basically identical.

Weasel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
I've an Android head unit in mine (ATOTO A6). It's fairly simply to use and you'd be able to customize to some extent.

Of course, having to connect it to my phone for internet access for navigation adds some complication.

Units are available that can use a SIM, and you can get data only packages that would make it much easier. You wouldn't need a phone then.

The ATOTO has a backup camera. I have one. It doesn't work, but I have one. :) A dash cam is also available. I have a different dashcam. I have a microSD card with my music collection on it. Although there are 2 USB ports for music on USB.

There's also a wireless remote that I attached to my stereo wheel.

It's a decent system, if a bit slow. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I bought it cheaply at auction. If I were to get another one, I'd get one from that company but only because it's what I know. If cost didn't matter, I'd get something else.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm very familiar with the Atoto units. I've got an A6 Pro w/ backup camera in my F-250.

Like I said, I don't feel that an android based unit is a good option for this. Maybe android based is the wrong way to way it since a lot of them that I am considering are probably still android based. I don't want a pure android based interface for him to use.

Even if they are still android based I want an interface more like what the Boss units offers. I know launchers are available, but I want something ready to run out of the box and that I don't have to worry about it not working like its designed to.

I don't think adding another monthly payment is a good idea.

Also he said today that he doesn't need or care about having navigation. I don't recall him ever using GPS navigation directions. Besides if he wanted to he could use the phone GPS and let it give directions through bluetooth.

danielmeyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm very familiar with the Atoto units. I've got an A6 Pro w/ backup camera in my F-250.

Like I said, I don't feel that an android based unit is a good option for this. Maybe android based is the wrong way to way it since a lot of them that I am considering are probably still android based. I don't want a pure android based interface for him to use.

Even if they are still android based I want an interface more like what the Boss units offers. I know launchers are available, but I want something ready to run out of the box and that I don't have to worry about it not working like its designed to.

I don't think adding another monthly payment is a good idea.

Also he said today that he doesn't need or care about having navigation. I don't recall him ever using GPS navigation directions. Besides if he wanted to he could use the phone GPS and let it give directions through bluetooth.
Atoto a6 pro has soo many capabilities it will take some time to fully learn and get used to. I recently bought and installed this unit and I love it soo far. I have never seen a radio like this .. and for this price. I did a lot of searching before I purchased.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well as I mentioned, I have one. I've been using it for a while now in my F-250.

I do not feel that an Atoto, or other radio with native android based interface, is a good option for this particular application.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I was looking at the Boss that @fastpkr mentioned above for my wife's 2002 SportTrac. She's not into tech at all and likes the simple interface.
Didn't buy the model Boss I was looking at as it was out of stock at the time. I'm on the waiting list.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Atoto a6 pro has soo many capabilities it will take some time to fully learn and get used to. I recently bought and installed this unit and I love it soo far. I have never seen a radio like this .. and for this price. I did a lot of searching before I purchased.
What can you tell us about the vehicle you installed it in?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals