• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket power windows

Jim bow

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone installed a set of those Universal Power Window kits?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and no, they were more work that switching to factory power windows

As far as the work goes........
You have to remove door panels
Then remove factory manual window crank/regulator, riveted so you need to drill them out
And run 2 wires out of the door for 12volts and ground to operate the electric switch/motor
The above is exactly the same for universal or factory install

Universal requires you to drill, mount and cut, then re-cut, lol, so it matches door and window perfectly or it will bind up or not go up or down all the way
Its CUSTOM work
One size does NOT fit all :) at least for the two different ones I tried, these were in vehicles that had NO power window option, so no factory option

Factory power window regulators are already setup to fit, you do need to drill 1 or 2 more holes to match but 2 holes are already there from manual regulator
And that's pretty much it

So look at the cost of factory used, vs universal new
Also replacement parts if there is a problem a year or two down the road, that's were factory is best, lots of Rangers still running around, lol

You can use factory door panels and switches with either kind, just FYI

If you want drivers door to also have a switch for passenger door window then you need to run 2 more wires from drivers door to passenger door
But only need the 12volt wire at passenger door, as the 2 extra wires include Ground wire for switch on passenger door
So 4 new wires in drivers door and 3 wires in passenger door

The 12volt needs a 20amp fuse and can be full time power if you want, they won't drain battery unless you use them alot with engine off, lol
Or you can use a relay that's activated with key on
You don't need any factory wiring, but getting the connectors for switches and motors makes it easier

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If you're looking at adding power windows to a truck not equipped, @RonD nailed everything perfectly.

I installed aftermarket accessories, years ago, including several types of add-on power windows. If I feel the need to convert one of my own trucks from manual windows to power, the only way I'd go is to transplant all of the needed factory parts.

Aftermarket window kits never work as good as factory power, they will end up breaking, and then getting spare parts will be very difficult, likely impossible. Parts for factory windows have good availability now (even on the '83-'94 trucks I drive), and future availability will still be better than finding aftermarket kit parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals