• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket air filters on modern engines?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Just keep this in mind while you read that... I’m a lifelong Ford fan and will alway pick a Ford over a Chevy. But I’m also honest.
And that was in jest. I know Ford has their faults. Like the rain of rust pieces falling off my truck while banging on the upper shackle bolt with a pickle fork trying to get the Sum B’tch out or atleast out far enough that I can get an angle grinder with a cut off wheel on the part of the bolt I can reach in order to get the shackle out. Three hours later with a lot of cussing and swearing. It’s out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And that was in jest. I know Ford has their faults. Like the rain of rust pieces falling off my truck while banging on the upper shackle bolt with a pickle fork trying to get the Sum B’tch out or atleast out far enough that I can get an angle grinder with a cut off wheel on the part of the bolt I can reach in order to get the shackle out. Three hours later with a lot of cussing and swearing. It’s out.
I hit the easy button... new shackle brackets are $30 a side. No fuss, just kill eight rivets.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Funny story (sort of funny)...
We got our first GMC c5500 mason dump back in 04. The first time road depot used it was to follow a brine truck around the entire county. They followed the truck everywhere and at every red light, the passenger jumped out, ran up to the back of the brine truck, and shut the valve off. When the light turned green, they turned the brine valve back on. After about 4-5 hours, the GMC stalled and wouldn’t start.
Long story short, following a brine truck around for hours plugged the air filter solid with salt and stalled the engine.
Stupid story (sort of)...

One time I was doing a test for an underboost code on a 6.7 SD. Part of the test is to put the air filter in a plastic bag and reinstall it to seal the air box for smoke testing the intake.

On the next step you start the engine and monitor some stuff. Engine ran like crap and built even less boost than when it came it. I forgot to take the bag off the air filter.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
*insane nonsense rant warning*

Ok I'm fully against "cold air intakes" but I have been a fan of using k&n filters (direct replacements, not cone filters or nonsense). I am well aware that if you don't know how to oil them properly they can mess up your maf sensor. But I don't drive in dusty conditions so I like being able to take it out and clean it whenever and throw it back in.

Been using K&N filters in everything for 20 years. Recently I'm fighting with my truck over fuel trims being high. I said lemme try something and stuck a motorcraft paper filter in it. (It's had a K&N since 2009). Fuel trims came down and evened out across the throttle range.

So... here's my thought here. Given positive fuel trims, the k&n filter obviously flowed more air than the ford filter. BUT do those numbers equate to a power increase or just reduced fuel consumption when dealing with a modern sophisticated efi system?
Dirtman:

We'll see if I can explain this...

Ford engineers need to compromise on every component - a CAI that works great in summer in Tallahassee, Florida, doesn't work worth $#!+ in winter an hour north of Fort McMurray, Alberta, an air filter that needs maintenance after 20 miles off pavement doesn't work for my in-laws who drive 13 miles each way to town on gravel roads - they aren't going to clean and re-oil the filter after every trip, etc.

K&N filter flows more air (as do headers, CAI, etc), which an efi system in closed loop, compensates for adding MORE fuel. Which is why you are seeing higher fuel trims. One can do the same with a carb by installing larger jets. More air & more fuel equals more power which is why the brochure will quote xx hp increase at peak RPM and WOT.

More power reduces fuel economy if you keep the same throttle position. But, when we are driving constant speed e.g. 55 on interstate :ROFLMAO:, the increased power allows decrease in throttle position (less push on the skinny pedal), so you MIGHT see increased fuel economy. There's a very complex trade off between more efficient engine and "throttled" intake - the 2 basically work against each other and you don't gain as much as you thought you would based on the quoted hp increase.

Does that help?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Which is the important Ford part?
The rotted off exhaust manifold studs?
The v10s that dropped valves?
The bad cam phasers?
The 3 valve spark plugs that break inside the head when you try to replace them?
The spark plugs that blow out of the head and take the threads with them?
The track bar bushing that causes death wobble?
The brakes that wear out in under 30k miles?

Our newer Ford F550s don’t compare to our older 03-04 and 08-09 GMC c5500s mechanically. The GMCs were wiring nightmares and had every electrical problem you can think of.
But
The GMC brakes were massive and could stop a loaded freight train.
The Allison transmissions never had a problem.
The only engine problems we ever really had was seized glow plugs. ( When on broke, we just put a new one into a piece of 3/8 pipe and bolted it to the head... don’t ask.)
I worked at a dealer for the entire production of V10's.
*Most of the rotted exhaust manifold studs were on trucks with plows, carrying the plow over the road causes the road salt and slop to curl up under the front of the truck and plaster the underside of the engine. Stainless studs fixed it.
*Never saw a V10- or a modular V8 drop a valve.
*Did have some cam phasers make noise, often when they were sludged from lack of maintenance.
*3 valve plugs don't break off when removed correctly, we would warm the engine, replace the plugs on one side, warm the engine again and do the other side. All by hand-no impact tools.
* Properly installed and torqued plugs don't blow out of 5.4's or 6.8's
*Track bar bushings, worn out parts, and severely chopped tires cause the wobble.
* Don't consider we had any premature brake wear complaints on trucks we maintained. We would clean and lube the caliper slides every 15k.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I hit the easy button... new shackle brackets are $30 a side. No fuss, just kill eight rivets.
The thought had crossed my mind but I had already spent more money than I should have with the new shackles since I was already there.

Item of note for those who get the 2011 and possibly the 2010 year models. The rear hangar is only partially riveted in. The front two holes are rivets and the rear two are bolt and nut.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The thought had crossed my mind but I had already spent more money than I should have with the new shackles since I was already there.

Item of note for those who get the 2011 and possibly the 2010 year models. The rear hangar is only partially riveted in. The front two holes are rivets and the rear two are bolt and nut.
I think that has been standard for all Gen 3 Rangers - my 98 Rangers have 2 rivets and 2 bolts of the rear hangers.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think that has been standard for all Gen 3 Rangers - my 98 Rangers have 2 rivets and 2 bolts of the rear hangers.
I don’t remember the 1998 I had being like that but it was an RWD. So, that might the reason why for the difference. Not that removing the rivets are all that big of a deal.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My 97 had one of the rear hangers with 2 bolts

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You know your truck is rusted out when banging on it with one of these:

causes rust flakes to rain down off the truck.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think that has been standard for all Gen 4 Rangers - my 98 Rangers have 2 rivets and 2 bolts of the rear hangers.
FIFY

Note: Gen1 is 83-88; gen2 is 89-92; Gen3 is 93-97; Gen4 is 98-11

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My butt itches

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals