• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After replacing the usual culprits, still bad MPG

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2.3L 4speed Auto with over 200k and no extra weight besides an aluminum tool box getting 18MPG. When I bought it used a few months ago, I figured it just had old parts and I started to do some tune-ups.

Replaced spark plugs and wires
New air filter
Cleaned MAF
Changed Oil and filter
Cleaned Idle control
Cleaned air intake & throttle body
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced upstream O2 sensor
Replaced rear drum brakes

Still getting just about the same mileage. I have the front brakes sitting in my room to replace, so there could be some brake drag.

I have not gotten it checked for vacuum leaks and I could replace the PCV valve but it's a PITA to get to so have not bothered. How much does it affect MPG?

Any other options to get good mileage out of this?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can check for brake drag fairly easily (usually) by simply parking on a hill facing downwards and sit there with the brakes on in neutral. Release the brakes (pedal) and see how fast it moves from the stop position. it should start rolling immediately.

One of the most common brake drag causes in older vehicles is the front flex lines can act like a one way valve when the inner linings are shot. I had that exact problem and as it got worse the resistance got stronger. this was especially noticeable after hard braking from highway driving so that at some lights the truck would almost stall out when I released the clutch to go again.

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You can check for brake drag fairly easily (usually) by simply parking on a hill facing downwards and sit there with the brakes on in neutral. Release the brakes (pedal) and see how fast it moves from the stop position. it should start rolling immediately.
Thanks, tried it and it did not seem to roll immediately and it felt like something was dragging. Do you think new caliper seals and greasing the guide pins (along with new rotors and pads I already have) will fix it?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
All I can say is it might...and if you already have the parts give it a shot.

The flex lines are not hard to change and fairly inexpensive on these trucks. The most challenging thing is the bleeding of the lines but if you've done that before you will know it's actually pretty simple. I use a One-Man bleeder kit that has worked perfectly for me several times.

The only other thing to check is to raise up the rear wheels (raise both) and see if there is any drag there. If the rear brakes are working properly they shouldn't drag at all but if the drums become out of round they can drag easier.

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll get the front brakes changed soon, I'll consider changing the flex lines even if I can't confirm they are clogged just to rule it out.

I did the drums my self and I'm pretty sure I got the self-adjuster right where the only drag I felt was me turning the diff gears, but I'm not experienced with any other vehicles drag like that so I ended up doing a guess job based on others experience I read about.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
it's actually more likely to be the front flex lines than anything. The rears are self adjusting and unless you did they wrong there is very little that can go south with them and cause them to lock up.

I once had a rear shoe become lodged in the drum and that caused some serious drag. I did a roadside removal and just kept driving (I was doing a paper route). Made it home and repaired it the next day...

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how they go in and what might be wrong so I tossed the flex line out in case you've never heard of it.

A common issue with older Rangers...and I drove mine for two years before I learned about it...thanks to helpful people on this site.

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it's actually more likely to be the front flex lines than anything. The rears are self adjusting and unless you did they wrong there is very little that can go south with them and cause them to lock up.
I mentioned the rear self-adjuster because you can initially set them to have the shoes rubbing too much on the drums. I might try backing it off one click and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the suggestions

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If its a 1996 or newer look at the fuel trims with a scanner, while its running. Perhaps your fuel trims are high because of a problem. In any event you need a scanner. I bought a cheap one that sends the data to my phone using bluetooth. I think it was $20 and my app was $5.99.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals