• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

afew questions about a 3.0

2.8broncoII

Reaction score
im looking at a 2000 ranger 2wd 5 spped with the 3.0 in it. im just wondering with 127,000 miles on it what kind of problems it may have. What kind of issues or signes should i check for while driving it? WHAT KIND OF GASMILEAGE DO THESE TRUCKS TIPICALLY GET?
thanks everyone,
dan

texasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 3.0 Ranger with 153,000 miles. However, mine is auto/4x4. Even so, I get mileage in the 19-20 range, usually. I can coax a little more out of it, but that engine doesn't hold overdrive on any sort of hill (31 inch tires don't help, and I have a 3.73 final drive ratio). It performs best at 3000 rpm and up, at the cost of fuel economy. As for reliability issues, I'm sure there are some, but mine has no significant problems thus far.

"Well, that's all I have to say about that."

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
The 3.0 is among the toughest gas motors there is, but sadly this comes at the cost of raw power. Don't expect to be able to overtake anything on the highway with verve, forget about pulling out in front of vehicles in traffic, and throw out any delusions you may have about exhilarating performance. from what I've read, the little 3.0 is usually good for anywhere from 200k-300k miles before major problems even start, provided it is well maintained.
That said, some have had trouble with the Cam Position Sensor failing, but it may not be a problem in your year.
Good luck!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
expect low to mid 20's for highway, high teens to low 20's for around town. it varies alot depending on how spirited you are.

the 3.0 gets its best mileage near its peak torque range, above 3,000 rpm. i can go from a consistent 20 to 24 highway just by staying in 4th gear on the highway.

dont let people scare you away with talks of gutlessness and lack of power. these people dont understand how to drive a motor originally intended for a sedan...or they have a power sucking auto. getting power out of the 3.0 is somewhat of an art. dont be afraid to take it up to 4,000 RPM with the pedal to the floor...you wont hurt it and thats where it really pulls hard.

the 3.0 is also one of fords longest lasting motors. there was a guy on here that have over 300,000 miles on a nitrous sprayed 3.0 with no problems. the only major think to look for on that year motor is the aforementioned cam syncro issue. this is relatively cheap and easy to fix provided you do it before it goes out.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the cam sycro is supposed to be a life time part. but its been calculated unofficially to need preventive replacing every 70,000 miles. and its a problem for the 95-2002s i think if your engine has oil pressure and is running its cam syncro is still good. when it fails the oil pressure drops and engine seizes if you dont notice the drop.

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 is a good engine. I agree with wicked.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i think if your engine has oil pressure and is running its cam syncro is still good. when it fails the oil pressure drops and engine seizes if you dont notice the drop.
cam syncros have been known to fail with absolutely no warning (AKA, engine runs and has oil pressure one second, then has zero oil pressure the next). even if your pretty good at keeping an eye on the oil pressure gauge while driving...it doesnt take long at all without oil pressure to ruin a motor at highway rpm and load.

in other words, if it was a risk for me, i wouldnt risk it. i would replace it at a regular intervals regardless of its appearant condition.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cam syncros have been known to fail with absolutely no warning (AKA, engine runs and has oil pressure one second, then has zero oil pressure the next). even if your pretty good at keeping an eye on the oil pressure gauge while driving...it doesnt take long at all without oil pressure to ruin a motor at highway rpm and load.

in other words, if it was a risk for me, i wouldnt risk it. i would replace it at a regular intervals regardless of its appearant condition.
i agree otherwise those vulcans for those years are well engineered for life.

2.8broncoII

Reaction score
cool... im still waiting on this guy to emmail me with new pics

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals