• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice swapping corroded 4.0 cams

Nagi636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I recently bought a 4.0 with 67k miles to replace my original 2006 with 220k miles that chewed up a failed chain guide. The new motor is in good condition but the cam lobes are corroded from sitting even with the anticorrosion spray they applied. Its much worse on the driver side where the oil fill was located on the original cover. Can I swap the cams from the old motor? If so do I need to replace the rollers? I appreciate any recommendations, Thanks!

This Is the cam in the new engine

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That is a damn shame...

I think what I would do is ask the company you bought the used engine from on what they suggest you do.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
if you've got pitting and corrosion that bad on the cams, chances are water has gotten into other places too, if it was me I'd be looking for another engine, honestly. But if you're dead set on using the low mileage engine I'd be yanking the oil pan and all of the plugs and inspecting really good. Personal opinion is I'd rather have a higher mileage engine that was well maintained than an internally rusty low mileage one.

Nagi636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I pulled the upper and lower oil pan and everything is clean from rust and with little if any sludge I also looked around with a borescope and thankfully valves and cylinder walls are in good shape too. I guess I can accept that as being lucky these days. Considering everything else looks fine I went ahead and ordered two new cams from my ford service center. The place I bought the engine from offered a return for refund If I pay $350 for shipping. The new cams were only $286 so It was a little cheaper but more importantly for me its much faster than waiting for a refund and getting a replacement.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I'm probably too late, but I'd recommend getting new gear bolts too. Might not be a bad idea to replace the oil lines either. At least clean them up good. Could be some internal corrosion that might clog one of the oiling holes.

Also, not sure if you know it or not, but setting the timing on the 4.0 SOHC requires some special tools and attention to detail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals