• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice Request: Looking to buy a '94 B-2300

ImageTool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, new to the forum so sorry if these types of threads are frowned upon.

I'm looking at a '94 B-2300 with 202,850 km (126,045 miles) for 4899 CAD. Here's the ad:

I currently own a 2009 4.0L automatic Ranger and previously owned a 2007 2.3L manual B Series. Sold the B-2300 last year to buy the Ranger because it was a ridiculously good deal (too good to pass up), but honestly I miss driving manual and also the gas savings.

The truck in this listing looks to be in really good shape, but seems overpriced. Looking for your guys' general opinion of the specific listing.

A big question I have is if the Lima will scratch the itch I have after missing my old Duratec. What are the differences between the two reliability/power/mileage wise? Are there any other big differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks with 2.3L engines??

Thanks!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
almost 5K ( idk what that is in US money) seems a lot for a 200kmile truck IMO. But I come from a place where you can get a decent Mercedes Benz for 10K without even looking that hard. I see Rangers like the one you posted for half that price all day long.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That's a clean looking 94, it's really impossible to make a judgement without seeing it in person and driving it. Usually if the word "classic" appears in the ad it indicates a premium in the price.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you want the truck, take a wad of cash for a exactly what you are willing to pay and show it to the seller. He can take it or leave it, but will probably take it. Money talks.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
almost 5K ( idk what that is in US money) seems a lot for a 200kmile truck IMO. But I come from a place where you can get a decent Mercedes Benz for 10K without even looking that hard. I see Rangers like the one you posted for half that price all day long.
It's only 120,000 miles (approximately). He's Canadian, so the odometer is in kilometers, not miles.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey everyone, new to the forum so sorry if these types of threads are frowned upon.

I'm looking at a '94 B-2300 with 202,850 km (126,045 miles) for 4899 CAD. Here's the ad:

I currently own a 2009 4.0L automatic Ranger and previously owned a 2007 2.3L manual B Series. Sold the B-2300 last year to buy the Ranger because it was a ridiculously good deal (too good to pass up), but honestly I miss driving manual and also the gas savings.

The truck in this listing looks to be in really good shape, but seems overpriced. Looking for your guys' general opinion of the specific listing.

A big question I have is if the Lima will scratch the itch I have after missing my old Duratec. What are the differences between the two reliability/power/mileage wise? Are there any other big differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks with 2.3L engines??

Thanks!
First of all, welcome. from a fellow Canadian. I won't hold the fact that you're in Vancouver against you, I promise.

Secondly, the two engines (as I'm sure you already know) are entirely different engines. The 2.3L Duratec engine is a DOHC engine with four valves per cylinder, and it's actually a Mazda engine. The 2.3 Lima engine is SOHC (I thought it was OHV). I'll ask some of the other guys who know more about these engines to chime in.

Thirdly, there is some debate over where the generation lines are. Around here, people throw things at you if you don't split the '83-94 into two generations (at '89), which would make the '94 a third generation, and the '98 up trucks fourth.

Fourth, at that price, grab it. Nadaguides places the value at $5,975 for a clean retail truck (that's what this one is, since it looks like somebody just drove it off the showroom floor).

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Very clean 94 b series, always liked those 94's. Love that clean old school interior..120,000 miles for that year are low. I do believe that the old school 2.3 was way bitter. Little slow, yes..much more reliable than the those duratec engines. I would love to have that truck.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
not sure why , but ive noticed “mazda” badged trucks run more $ than those badged “ranger” , even though its pretty much the same truck.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
not sure why , but ive noticed “mazda” badged trucks run more $ than those badged “ranger” , even though its pretty much the same truck.
That's because Mazda, Honda and Toyota all have higher resale values than Ford, GM and Chrysler. Japanese vehicles hold more value longer. Don't shoot the messenger, now.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
but in the case of a mazda (93 & newer) vs a ranger, its the same truck, just a few stamping differences in the body, diffrent grille. the interior and drivetrain is identical.
Kind of like the old mercury line vs ford ( like the tempo/topaz, taurus/sable, maverick/comet ) the older mazda’s (“B” series) was a japanese truck, in fact the courier was just a rebadged mazda, just like the chevy luv was really a isuzu pup and the dodge D-50 was a mitsubishi mighty max.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
but in the case of a mazda (93 & newer) vs a ranger, its the same truck, just a few stamping differences in the body, diffrent grille. the interior and drivetrain is identical.
Kind of like the old mercury line vs ford ( like the tempo/topaz, taurus/sable, maverick/comet ) the older mazda’s (“B” series) was a japanese truck, in fact the courier was just a rebadged mazda, just like the chevy luv was really a isuzu pup and the dodge D-50 was a mitsubishi mighty max.
That's not entirely true, for a few reasons.

Ranger VS B Series:
  1. Ranger, when you look it up on Nadaguides.com, only has one model with different configurations. Mazda has multiple models with different configurations.
    1. B2300
    2. B2300 SE
    3. B2500
    4. B3000
    5. B3000 SE
    6. B4000 SE
    7. B4000 LE
  2. Mazda has different options and standard equipment. And that, right there, is the key.
Ford VS Mercury: Mercury models aren't an identical model to Ford models, and not just because they look slightly different. Ford's Mercury line comes better equipped than the Ford line.
For the captive imports, the American vehicle is actually not the same price new as the foreign vehicle. The two vehicles are priced according to the target market, and hold/lose value accordingly.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Chevy/GMC has been doing this for ever. GMC is supposed to be better quality leathers an plastics than the Chevy counterpart, and then Cadillac/Buick SUVs are a step up from GMC.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
From what I’ve seen, GMC is for suckers. I haven’t noticed anything between Chevy and GMC to warrant the price difference. But then again, I haven’t seen comparable trim levels next to each other either.

I do know their GMC parts are over priced because they are “hand picked”.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm scared of the mismatched color grille. Maybe it's nothing and was just cracked and replaced... Check it over really well for front end damage though. Otherwise it looks pretty clean. Those trucks are very reliable and easy to work on and cheap to fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals