• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice on Skid Plates/Undercarriage kits

87Ranger4x4xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Folks, we just replaced the rotted out gas tank on our 87 XLT and shortly after the skid plate underneath which was pretty rusty too just gave out. I’m looking for advice on undercarriage skid plates/kits to replace the rusted original gear underneath. Quick searches shows me there’s a bunch of options at all kinds of prices so I’m looking for advice on personal experience— what kits do you all recommend? We are not using the truck off-road much at all but live on a dirt road so there’s a lot of rock and dirt kick up on a regular basis.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I took my originals off and left them off. They are just dirt and crude catchers like you found out. They also make servicing and inspection more difficult. Never have had rocks on dirt roads causing a problem. Glad they are gone.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I concur that they are a waste of time unless you use the truck off road where things can jump up and poke the undercarriage.

Most people don't bother washing dirt out from between the skid plate and gas tank, and it's kinda hard to get it all out anyway even if you do. Much easier to spray off everything without them in place.

I have the entire under side of my Explorer covered by skid plates that I built and will tell you that they fill up with crap very quickly. I have to take them off 2-3 times a year to wash everything out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals