• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

adjusting valves in a 2.3?

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is it possible? my valves are starting to rattle bad, not just tick. ive never done valves before so i looked it up in my haynes manual and it only shows a procedure for replacing them. the only engine that has an adjustment procedure is the 2.8.

so are they adjustable or do you have to replace them? also any tips, or instructions would be appreciated :icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
they are full hydraulic, no adjustment possible...

if they are making noise there's two possibilities, one being there's no oil pressure the other being one of the lash adjusters has failed, they are like $8 each (maybe cheaper at rockauto) and not horrible to change. After you get the valve cover off take a couple long screwdrivers and pry the valve top down enough to get the rockers out one by one, being roller it isn't completely necessary to keep track of which one goes where. From there the lash adjusters just pull out, I've heard it's a good idea to place a dime under each one for a little extra preload. While you are there it would be a good idea to change the valve stem seals, they aren't too hard either.

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals