• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adjusting Timing

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Adjusting Timing +++ New IAC Question

Okay, I have be unable to find how how to adjust the timing on the 2.9L. Me and my dad spent an hour looking at how to adjust the timing. I have hunted over the internet and have not found a thing on it. Does the distributor rotate like a 351, or does it have to be done some other way?
Nick

Last edited:

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
theres a bolt on the backside of the distributor in the transmission. Loosen it and you can move it right or left.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yup. Dizzy rotates.

13mm bolt holding the dizzy down, loosen it and turn her whichever way ya need.

Don't remove said bolt, the dizzy can 'pop' out and you'll be scratchin yer head wondering wtf happened to your timing.
(I know that from experience :D)

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I found that bolt, but it is such a bitch to get to me and my dad were like this can't be it.
Thanks
Nick

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It's it...

I have a 13mm wrench that I cut in half that I use on that bolt, so that it clears the firewall. It is easy to get to with your right arm from the drivers side.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you need to pull the spout connector to get a true reading (without advance) when you adjust the distributor. Otherwise it will bounce all over the place when you shine your timing light on the marks.

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah! remove spout connector and time it to 10 degrees. once done reinstall conector.

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Which connector is that? I remember hearing something that it is the one that goes to the coil from the dizzy.

Also, just something that has bugged me. I cleaned out the IAC with throttle body cleaner(spray can type), as it was dirty. I use almost a whole can to get it cleanish. Well, a few mins after I did that, the truck was running okay, then it began to surge and was almost impossible to drive. I reved the motor to 5000rpm for a second and it has not surged at low RPM(under 2500). Now, at exactly 2500RPM the tack jumps up and down by 100-300rpm while it is in gear, but the truck does not really feel any different. If I let it go for a little while it will then start to feel like it is surging. I normally shift at around 2600RPM on this truck, so this is always at the end of a gear when it does. I am thinking that there still might be some cleaner inside the valve causing this. I am going to take it off tomorrow and get it fully cleaned in a ultrasonic washer with warm soapy water to clean it again. What do you guys think?
Nick

Last edited:

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You should see a pair of yellow wires coming out of the split loom on the passenger side of upper intake near the IAC valve that has a pull apart connector on the end of the wires. That is the Spout connector.

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
you probably need a new gasket. happened to me

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thing about a new gasket, when I took the old one off, it just fell apart. I did not have a replacement with me, so I just used Formagasket sealer to make one. I will get a new one when I go to the parts store tomorrow for a few bucks while I am getting oil.
Nick

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah! remove spout connector and time it to 10 degrees. once done reinstall conector.
The tech pages was suggesting 12 deg. Does it make that much of a difference?

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the pics. I was wondering what the hell that was.

Anyways, I got a new IAC with a gasket and it is still doing it. I went to a friend who is my mechanic to have a new front seal put in because mine is leaking. He said to try a different gas because I normally run mid grade gas in it, but my dad used the truck and filled it up with regular. Odd thing is that for the first 200 or so RPM that it is jumping around, you can feel almost nothing. But after that you feel it a lot. I am wondering how the hell it id jumping around that much since the engine is locked to the wheels with the clutch. Makes me thing it could be something with the tack and/or coil.
Nick

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As lazy as I am, what I would do is pull the spout connector and shine a timing light on the pulley marks without fooling with the distributor hold down. If it shows 10 degrees you are home free and don't have to screw with it. If it's off you have found at least part of your problem and you won't feel too bad about messing with the bolt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals