• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Questions

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 94 4.0 recently developed a dead spot at full throttle which most people fixed by replacing the FPR. I would like to add an adjustable regulator however it seems I would have some problems hooking up to the fuel rail due to how the stock FPR mounts to it also the stock FPR does not have a return line and I'm not sure where to plumb an aftermarket line to. Does anyone know anything about that?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Can you elaborate a bit more on the original problem?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea I'm a bit confused why you want an adjustable pressure regulator. You can't change the factory fuel pressure so what benefits are you trying to gain over a OEM regulator?

And what do you mean by a dead spot?

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
towards the end of the throttle I lose almost all power and it starts to misfire it switches suddenly too there isn't any gradual decline I've checked most of the vacuum system and replaced the tps

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sounds more like a clogged exhaust, clogged fuel filter or fuel pump issue not a regulator issue.

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds more like a clogged exhaust, clogged fuel filter or fuel pump issue not a regulator issue.
I have replaced the fuel filter and my exhaust is getting full flow

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yea I'm a bit confused why you want an adjustable pressure regulator. You can't change the factory fuel pressure so what benefits are you trying to gain over a OEM regulator?

And what do you mean by a dead spot?
The benefits would be if I ever made any more mods to the fuel system and wanted more pressure then I wouldn't have waisted my money on 2 regs. it is also cheaper and looks cool even if it serves no benefit currently

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Test your fuel pressure and post the results.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The benefits would be if I ever made any more mods to the fuel system and wanted more pressure then I wouldn't have waisted my money on 2 regs. it is also cheaper and looks cool even if it serves no benefit currently
The ECU uses a set and known fuel pressure for calculations. There is no sensor for fuel pressure, the computer simply knows the system runs at 35psi and bases injector timing off of that. Even if you do "mods" that would require more fuel you would only need to change the injector size not the regulator. Without completely changing to a stand alone programmable ECU system you cannot change the fuel pressure from its set factory spec 35psi.

NeverStock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The ECU uses a set and known fuel pressure for calculations. There is no sensor for fuel pressure, the computer simply knows the system runs at 35psi and bases injector timing off of that. Even if you do "mods" that would require more fuel you would only need to change the injector size not the regulator. Without completely changing to a stand alone programmable ECU system you cannot change the fuel pressure from its set factory spec 35psi.
and I suppose there is also no way to tune the stock ecu is there

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
and I suppose there is also no way to tune the stock ecu is there
Eh... kinda sorta not really. Ford EEC-IV computers are not very sophisticated so they cannot be tuned like a more modern EEC-V computer. You would need to see if you can find a local tuner shop and see if they can fiddle with those older systems. Most only work on obd2 systems though. But outside of supercharging it, the system can run happily on 35psi. Even with a supercharger most people run the stock pressure. Injector size and timing matters more than pressure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The FPR on 1997 and earlier Rangers has the Return Line attached to it, and a vacuum line, the vacuum line is what regulates engine Load fuel pressure

The IN fuel line from the filter attaches directly to the Fuel rail, on a 4.0l OHV that's the part between upper and lower intakes

The stock FPR's internal spring is set for 42-44PSI
This is what pressure should show with no vacuum hose attached
With hose attach and engine at idle, vacuum is HIGH so that pulls FPR open a bit more reducing fuel pressure to 35psi, approx.
When you accelerate fuel demand goes UP and Vacuum goes DOWN, this helps stabilize pressure at 35psi
Same for engine Load, which is directly related to Vacuum in the intake, light load high vacuum, high load low vacuum

So pretty simple system
Without this Vacuum adjustment the computer has a hard time calculating OPEN TIME for the injectors, so you can get the stumbling when going from low load to high load
Say pressure is 43psi and low load(no vacuum hose attached)
When you accelerate, fuel flow increases and pressure drops to 30psi, or less, so computer's calculated 43psi injector open time is WRONG, so it has to increase open time for lower pressure, and it does, but YOU feel that as a stumble, no instant throttle response because fuel pressure is not Stable

Adjustable pressure is what there is with stock system, in working condition, it adjust to engine load which is what you want

Higher fuel pressure doesn't give any engine more power, fuel injected or carb
Gasoline engines need 14.7:1 air:fuel mix
Adding more fuel gets you a flooded engine, not more power

TPS(throttle position sensor) this is used by the computer to give instant throttle response
Its a 5volt sensor, like most
Works like a light dimmer or volume control, variable voltage/resistor
Computer "sees"
0.9volt closed throttle
4.5volt wide open throttle

If there is a dead spot, at say 1/2 throttle where voltage drops suddenly then there would be a hesitation as computer "thinks" you took your foot off the gas pedal and turns OFF the fuel injectors
Very very rare failure

One of the fuel saving benefits of fuel injection is that the computer can turn OFF all the fuel injectors when your foot is off the gas pedal when coasting, carbs just kept on sucking in fuel, lol
Computer turns injectors back on when RPMs are under 1,500 or so
It does intermittently turn on injectors to keep Cats hot when coasting

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals