• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

adding sound deadening

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
so im finally getting tired of the rattles and vibrations of my truck so ive decided to add some sound deadening mat. heres some pics of the front doors i did last night, im going to do the back of the cab tonight (its extended) but im a little unsure on where exactly i should apply this stuff. the rear speakers sit inside those steel rings so they wont really seal up per say, but i was thinking about putting around the opening in the inner panel, behind the speaker, and also on the panels around the windows and on the panel across the back. any input from those who have done this before is appreciated!

this is some 3M mat that i bought to use on the outer skins, it was only $4 for both sheets seen here, i plan to use 2 more of these on the outer cab skins behind the jump seats.

heres the thermo-tec "suppressor" that i used on the doors

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, where'd you get that stuff?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
i see you have a gen 2, were did you get the mirrors? thy look like there off a 05.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
They are 05 mirrors, i read a couple of write ups on doing the swap and decided to order them up and give it a try. They were actually cheaper than the stock replacements and the swap was pretty straight forward, i even have the power mirrors hooked up.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
They are 05 mirrors, i read a couple of write ups on doing the swap and decided to order them up and give it a try. They were actually cheaper than the stock replacements and the swap was pretty straight forward, i even have the power mirrors hooked up.
let us know how the sound deadening works out.
sorry to hijack the thread but can you point me to the write up, i think it looks sweet.
i would love to see more photos of the mirrors.

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hope you never have to pull the glass out lol, It looks really good though it's on my list of things to do!

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
well in my searches i didnt really find anything pertaining to the extended cab portion per say, so i just took it apart and got started.

i picked up another roll today to do the other side, so far its made a huge difference!

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder how that stuff would work on the floor under the carpet for heat

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
this particular matting is made for sound and heat so it would probably work great. im not running a heat shield or even any carpet for that matter, but i did buy a 12" x 24" sheet of their self adhereing heat shield and stuck it on the bottom of the floor pan, directly over the converter (its been gutted but it still gets hot). heres a link to it http://http://www.thermotec.com/products/13500-adhesive-backed-heat-barrier.html

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I used Quick Roof on mine to accomplish the same thing. The one area I didn't do was the black vent thing on the bottom right of the door. It made a HUGE difference for mine. Mine is a 96, so I don't know if it makes a difference. I don't really know what the hell the vent does or if it works, but mine sounds a lot better with than without.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
nope, hadnt even thought about it or even knew those existed until you posted the link :icon_twisted: its a little late now i suppose... but so far what i have done has made a huge difference in road noise and the sound quality of my system. i did both doors and both extended cab portions up to the tops of the windows and i also put some large squares on the exterior panels (i didnt take any more pics because the bugs were bad and it looks the same as the side i posted already). talk about a cheap system upgrade, the low bass notes stay audible longer and theres less distortion and rattles now that the panels are sitting on top of the sound mat instead of the bare metal. with the way i set my system up i didnt really leave any room for going bigger so im glad this small investment improved what i already had. after hearing the difference in just doing the sides of the cab im wanting to do the floor and the roof. ive been wanting to recover my headliner with blue plaid to match my sons car seat and the overall interior colors so i think ill do the roof while i have the headliner out. im thinking that should keep the heat out in the summer and the heat in during the winter?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals