• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding PATS?

Theichelberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is it possible to add PATS to a 1998 ford ranger? I know they didn't originally come with PATS but i was just wondering if you could add PATS and how difficult it might be? And if you can add PATS, would a PATS system from a 1999 or 2000 ranger work?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not easily...

Just add a kill switch somewhere.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Congratulations, you're the only person I've ever heard that liked PATS, much less wanted to add it.
Dirtman nailed it, if you mount an old style floor dimmer switch and run the starter power from the ignition switch through it you'll have a cheap, easy kill switch. Young people won't know what it is and old people won't think it's a kill switch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

In 1998 PATS was an option in Rangers, not that that matters as far as adding it

1998-2000 Rangers with V6 engines used PATS type B, 4cyl didn't get PATS until 2002
Type B used a separate PATS module located above the glove box behind airbag

The PATS module and the Engine Computer(PCM) are programmed at the factory with a code number they share(see RSA encryption), the PATS module would send a different code each time when ignition key was turned on, and that code would tell PCM to start fuel pump and injectors or not to start fuel pump and injectors

So the PATS module and PCM are a matched pair, they can be re-paired if either fails

There is also a powered antenna looped around the ignition key slot, it sends the keys RFID tag number to PATS module when key/vehicle is turned on
This part is called the transceiver and is not a "matched" part, as long as it fits and its 4 wires are hooked up correctly it can come from any vehicle, its just a powered antenna

There would be a bit of wiring, and you don't need to put the PATS module above glove box, it can go anywhere in the cab, I wouldn't put it in engine bay

Wire diagram below

In it you will see a pink/orange stripe wire last wire on PATS module, it ran to the Starter Relay in the engine bay fuse box
In 1998 this relay is grounded in the fuse box, well just below it
To enable the Starter interrupt you would need to cut that ground wire and hook it to the pink/orange wire, so PATS module could ground that wire if key tested as "OK to start"

Then there is also the Theft Light wire, dark blue/light green, coming from PATS module to the instrument cluster, this is also a Ground wire for the Theft Light bulb which has 12volts all the time

There is no separate harness for this it was integrated into the 1999/2000 dash harness and PCM engine harness

Yes, a kill switch would be much easier, you can "kill" the power to the PCM relay, that disables fuel pump and fuel injectors
I prefer if starter motor works because it makes noise and people notice the noise of a No Start, lol

Another option is the "delay kill", timer circuit that allows start up and drive away but cuts fuel after say 1 or 2 min, when the thief is out on the road, with a DEAD engine, they do not hang around, they run away fast, lol

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In a 98 it would probably be better/easier to either do the kill switch, or find an old Ford Keypass system and install that instead.

Keypass would disable everything unless it got the right signals. The one in my Expedition you couldn't even work the windows and radio without making it happy first.

Theichelberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks a lot for all of the information this will more than likely be used. Now I had a thought, could you use a 1998 PCM on a 2000 wiring harness that already has PATS on it or is there too much of a difference in the wiring between two years. Just a crazy thought

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure of the reason for the question?

The 1998 PCM doesn't need "permission" from a PATS module to start fuel pump and injectors

That's all PATS is, it prevents the PCM from starting the fuel pump and the fuel injectors, which disables the engine, and there is no work around for fuel injectors
You can "hot wire" a fuel pump, and starter motor, but fuel injectors................no way to time those without a PCM
So the PCM is the source of PATS protection for anti-theft

Theichelberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The reason on why I asked the question is because I am wanting to swap a manual transmission into my 2000 ford ranger. I have a wrecked 1998 ford ranger with a manual transmission but in order for this swap to work I need to swap the PCMs. My concern is that my 2000 ranger has PATS and the 1998 ranger does not. Will the PATS on the 2000 ranger interfere with the PCM from the 1998 ranger that doesn't have PATS

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The reason on why I asked the question is because I am wanting to swap a manual transmission into my 2000 ford ranger. I have a wrecked 1998 ford ranger with a manual transmission but in order for this swap to work I need to swap the PCMs. My concern is that my 2000 ranger has PATS and the 1998 ranger does not. Will the PATS on the 2000 ranger interfere with the PCM from the 1998 ranger that doesn't have PATS
You need to swap the PCM no matter what to swap to a manual trans. The PCM will still be looking to control the automatic transmission. IF the 98 pcm is from the same engine it may work fine swapping it over, I'm not 100% sure if 98 and 00 used the same pinout on the PCM. You are not adding PATs at this point, you are deleting it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If your state does OBD II inspections the way NH does using the Gordon Darby system, the VIN embedded in the PCM needs to match the VIN on your registration. Tread carefully.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals