• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

add aux to older stereo??

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there a way to add a aux input to play ipods with a stereo that does not have one.

Its a older alpine. that id rather not replace.

I tried a fm tuner but they have poor reception and bad sound quality. Thanks for any input.

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
first does your head unit have an aux mode on it? If it does look in the back of the head unit depending on what series you have there should be RCA inputs in the back one should say aux just just get a set of RCA's with the headphone jack on the other end rout the wires and it should work.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
In the past I've had good luck with the FM tuner module. Any chance the modulator you used was just a POS? I used a Sony made modulator, and it was crystal clear.

Is it old enough to have a tape player? They have the cassette adapters as well.

EDIT:

Last edited:

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I've got this from Future Shop in Canada: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/417

I hauled out my stock '98 AM/FM/CASS and wired this into the power, and then plugged the antenna into this box, and then this box into the radio. You can choose between two preset stations.

It's pretty slick, still acts as an FM Transmitter, but there's no room for interference. I installed it in an hour or so and haven't had any trouble yet. I like the fact that I can switch it off when I like.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you use an FM modulator, no there's no way to add an aux input.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the past I've had good luck with the FM tuner module. Any chance the modulator you used was just a POS? I used a Sony made modulator, and it was crystal clear.

Is it old enough to have a tape player? They have the cassette adapters as well.

EDIT:
The FM tuner I had was a POS. It is the kind you set on a frequency and your radio picks it up (or attempts to) wirelessly like a radio station. It never worked all that great and regular radio stations bled into it.

Kind of an odd twist of fate that the old cassette deck is easier to update isn't it?

I've got this from Future Shop in Canada: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/417

I hauled out my stock '98 AM/FM/CASS and wired this into the power, and then plugged the antenna into this box, and then this box into the radio. You can choose between two preset stations.

It's pretty slick, still acts as an FM Transmitter, but there's no room for interference. I installed it in an hour or so and haven't had any trouble yet. I like the fact that I can switch it off when I like.
I heard great things about those on the internet, but when I tried to find one in real life I got the same response I would if I was trying to buy a front landing gear assembly from a space shuttle. I ended up getting a Pioneer head unit with a front aux input and ended up falling in love with just using a thumbdrive in the rear USB port with an extension cord running under the seat. I never use the front AUX port anymore... don't have to juggle chargers to keep the MP3 player alive or worry about somebody busting a window to take it.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
As radios have continued to get less expensive over the last ten years, I've been impressed with the features you can get for the price (outside of nav systems which IMO are still universally atrocious).

Last month I installed a couple of JVC units, the dual DIN KW-XR810 and its single DIN equivalent, the 820BT. Each offers front and rear USB inputs (one of which will be used by the included bluetooth adapter). It can stream audio across a bluetooth connection if your phone supports A2DP and can handle PBAP (phone book access profile) and AVRCP (remove control of the bluetooth device). Also has a front auxiliary input port. For $150-190 depending on which model and where you purchase, it's quite a radio. Lots of other similar options on the market depending on what you're looking for.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your Alpine has the option to control a CD changer, you can probably get an aftermarket adapter that uses the changer input for an aux. input. Got one for my wife's 6 year old alpine and it works great. As for FM transmitters, I've tried several and they are all now in a landfill somewhere. Not enough empty frequencies where I live to get a good signal without interference. You may have better luck.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but the WIRED fm transmitters don't need empty frequencies. you'll get iPod aux input or usb quality.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. IMO, if its really that important to you, replace the headunit and be done

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get a wired in FM transmitter. you'll get cd/aux quality.
but it makes more money sense to replace your cd player really. most wired fm trans are around $100.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150499375597?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
I was wanting to retain my stock radio, push comes to shove nothing "fits" like the stock radio.

My Pioneer (like most aftermarket radios) is chrome and bright blue in a sea of gray and green.

All I really wanted/needed is a clock, a radio with presets and a way to import music from another device.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
my radio blends in nicely in my 88 b2..

its this one, i have the lights set to green to match my stock dash lights

but i also have my dash face painted black... like this

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my radio blends in nicely in my 88 b2..

its this one, i have the lights set to green to match my stock dash lights

but i also have my dash face painted black... like this
I was refering to my '02 F-150, that was back before the color changing thing was as common as it is (and it still isn't really common) Even then it is more than just the color, it is the whole thing.

I never really thought about the modulator thing in my Ranger, as far as I can remember the stock radio was nothing to write home about for sound but it did match the dash really nice. I actually thought about trying to make a face out of it to cover it during car shows. I ended up getting an Alpine for it last summer that resembles what I remember aftermarket radios looking like in the early 90's.

I haven't had my stock radio in the truck since '01.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
only thing i hate about my radio is the front usb port....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
only thing i hate about my radio is the front usb port....
I got one of them itty bitty USB thumbdrives for my Ranger, I am afraid I would break a normal thumbdrive off.

The one in my F-150 has a rear USB and that is about the only thing I like about it. I am really surprised it isn't more common than it is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals