• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Add a Tach

da-chief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Sp
Transmission
Manual
SO if I am reading the various threads properly, I can add a tach to my cluster by simply buying a 98-03 Ranger/Explorer cluster with a tach in it, and plug and play. Is that right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but actually 1996 to 2003 Ranger or Mazda cluster will work, plug and play

All Rangers were pre-wired for a tach
Explorer clusters may need some re-pinning of the wires, its year specific, so get the year first then someone can be more specific, lol

da-chief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Sp
Transmission
Manual
I have a tach instrument panel from a wrecking yard that is apparently dated 6-15-99, and I am putting it in my 2000 Ranger with a 2.5L. I found this bit of info on setting up the tach to read properly, is this correct:?
Only Pin 16 of the 16-pin grounded ==> V8
Only Pin 8 of the 10-pin grounded ==> V6
Neither grounded ==> 4cyl

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, you won't need to do that, its only if you were changing engine size that you needed to move the ground wire

The gauges are all wired the same internally, well 1996-2003
The truck wires are where the grounds were changed for 4cyl or V6, or if you added V8 then you needed to re-pin or add a ground wire

Your 4cyl will have the correct ground for a 4cyl tach, wouldn't matter if cluster came from a 4 or 6 cylinder Ranger/Mazda

da-chief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Sp
Transmission
Manual
That is what was confusing me, I have no idea what this panel was in, bought it on the Big "E".

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, but actually 1996 to 2003 Ranger or Mazda cluster will work, plug and play

All Rangers were pre-wired for a tach
Explorer clusters may need some re-pinning of the wires, its year specific, so get the year first then someone can be more specific, lol
My 98 doesn't have a tach. So you're saying the wires are there for one under the dash? Because I am going to go old school hood tach. Like a lot of late 60's early 70's Pontiac's had.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the tan/yellow wire on the 16-pin plug on the cluster, its on pin 15

In engine bay you could tap it on the PCM(computer) harness, same tan/yellow wire comes from pin 48 of the PCM, this is the source for the tachometer signal to the dash

Last edited:

Pavix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I did this today, I have a 97 Ranger 2WD, 2.3L XLT. Mine didn't have a tach and I was lucky enough to find a tach that was within 2-3k of my actual mileage and was actually for a manual truck. Plug and play. The hardest part of this is locating and finding all the screws and there are a LOT of them. 2 behind the hood release, 2 I think on the bottom of the plastic trim under the steering wheel, 4 for the metal plate under the plastic trim on the bottom, 3 undernead the top part of the dash above the instrument cluster. 2 on the center control stack. 4 for the cluster itself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals