• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Add A/C - First Gen Ranger

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought my '87 used.

The controls on the dash have an A/C button, but there's no compressor and it appears that the HVAC housing doesn't have an evaporator.

Not sure if the truck originally was on-A/C and the PO swapped in an A/C control panel, or if the truck was A/C and the PO removed the compressor and swapped in a non-AC HVAC housing under the hood.

In any event, my wife would prefer the truck had A/C...

I have a 4.0 for it out of a '94 Explorer, and it has a compressor.

Haven't spent a lot of time poking around under the dash and hood, but I'm curious what might be involved in getting A/C installed and working.

First gen Rangers are pretty rare in the junkyard. Seems the easiest thing would be to get the housing and as many parts as possible off one if I can find one.

If not, any chance I could swap in the A/C housing from a later model Ranger?

Are 1st gen Explorers potential donors? They're a dime a dozen in the junkyard.

I have FSMs for the '87 Ranger and '94 Explorer, so that should help to a degree.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Look for a first gen B-II also for parts?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I installed a Vintage-Air aftermarket unit in my Ranger.....I used the original compressor----it lasted a year.....

I ordered a new compressor and will flush the system/install the compressor before it gets hot(ter) down here....

$750 + $40 shipping

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I installed a Vintage-Air aftermarket unit in my Ranger.....I used the original compressor----it lasted a year.....

I ordered a new compressor and will flush the system/install the compressor before it gets hot(ter) down here....

$750 + $40 shipping
Appreciate the info, but that's almost what I paid for the whole truck!

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look for a first gen B-II also for parts?
Thanks for that.

Your post made me do a search for adding a/c to a B2. Narrows down the results since the B2 was replaced by the Explorer, so all the search results were relevant to my 1G Ranger.

Found this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88340

About using a 93+ A/C in an '86. Using 94+ gives you a system built for R134, which works great with my existing compressor.

93/94+ Rangers are all over my local yard, and most seem to have A/C, so I should be able to find what I need.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Sorry for the double post, as I meant to add my question to this thread instead of the other one..

Hate to drag up an old thread but it seems to make sense to compile all of the info in one place..

I'm planning on adding A/C to my 1987 Ranger when doing a 1992 Thunderbird 5.0 engine swap. The complete engine and ALL accessories are being shipped to me now. I have the A/C - heater plenum on the firewall from a parts truck that I have, as well as the condenser, hard lines, etc... But it's an 88/89 model. I'm sure they'll swap just fine, but I'm sure I'll have to trim down the plenum for the V8 valve cover. Still not sure if it'll all fit or not though.. Can't say I've ever seen a V8 swapped first gen with A/C still in it. I'll have to buy a dash control to turn on the A/C system also, as my truck is heater only.

From what I'm seeing on Ebay, the heater and A/C control seems to just have a push switch that's only a two wire connection. Seems simple enough to make my own harness. I'm guessing that I could incorporate the high pressure switch and the original compressor connector into a hand built harness that kicks the compressor on using a relay. I know this wouldn't include a Wide Open Throttle cutout but I don't see that being a huge hazard or problem myself. Just push the switch to cycle the compressor off. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Any hazards to be aware of?

Here's a picture of the dash control which shows the back of the A/C switch showing two prongs for the connector, so it seems simple enough..

GB :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
En lieu of the WOT cutout relay I am going to put a temp sensor in the radiator so if it gets so warm the A/C will cut out to help it cool down like if someone is not in the truck or isn't me driving it.

IIRC the wiring for the dash button is tied into the dash harness, it is just one single pin gray connector that comes out with the wiring going to the blower motor stuff. There is a harness that plugs into that and goes the switches and compressor, all in the engine bay and fairly easy to extract.

The first gen condenser has both lines on the passenger side so if your compressor is on that side of the engine it would have less across the engine plumbing. The second gen has one hose going to each side of the truck so if the compressor is on the drivers side it would have less plumbing. Mounting should be similar, with my Explorer belt system the compressor is on the DS so I am planning on a second gen condenser.

I will need custom hoses made, your results may vary since your engine is similar vintage to your truck. If nothing else different RBV engines had compressors mounted on either side of the engine so you might be able to turn up hoses the right length.

For valve cover to plenum fit, low valve covers and a body lift will go a long ways.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I can't go with a body lift as this is a 2wd street truck. I'll just have to pull the plenum and A/C parts and see what the fitment looks like and if it's possible to trim them while keeping it all functional. If not, it'll have to get an aftermarket under-dash unit. But all of that is dependent on the engine actually fitting with the stock compressor in place. It's not looking good as I believe it's mounted down low on the drivers side, where the Ranger's steering box will be. A/C may end up a longer term project after I get it running and driving. I'm still thinking that making my own relay harness for the compressor/pressure switch/WOT cutout makes the most sense, but who knows. More reading to do I guess..

From the sound of using a temp sensor in the radiator, it seems to me that your A/C system would hardly ever function correctly, as it warms up the truck so much to begin with. Choosing the right temperature range on your sensor will surely be a trial and error thing, and it may be pretty difficult to find the right range..

GB :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back in the day people did swaps and kept the A/C, not many of those guys around anymore but it is possible.

Plan was to get the truck good and hot and with a laser thermometer from work see what it is running for temp at a certain spot in the radiator... the shoot a bit above that for the sensor temp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals