• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Acting up, a one time thing

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I was on my way home from a work gathering, and (of course this had to happen beside my boss) my idel went up to 4000rpm without hitting the gas or anything and right when I noticed that the idel was climing without me hitting the gas, i jumped onto the sidewalk (i was on a busy corner, tried to get my truck off the road) and turned it off, and of course my boss pulls beside me and thinks I'm drunk, because I had a beer with dinner...ya, but I started it back up about a minute later and it ran normal and nothing out of the ordanary happened after that, ran like it alwas did, I've never had this happen before, have any of you? Its on a 1989 2.9L with the M5OD, 2WD. Theres about 200 000km on it, and its be treated very nicly, with it getting anything it needs. I'm stumped, I could probably figure it out if it happened again, but I drove around for probably an hour afterwords and nothing. I'm stumped.

bdeuce

Reaction score
no, but i had this happen to a (shudder) cavalier i used to (shudder) drive. it was actually the ecu. this would happen once in a blue moon, then progressively more and more until i didn't think it was safe to drive anymore. i don't know how the ecu did it, but man that rev limiter came quick. usually happened whilst idling (thank crap), but i took it off the road when i almost rear ended a bus; had both feet on the brake, engine screaming, tires squealing, and brakes burning. made quite a scene. shut it off, started it up, fine. replaced computer with jyard ecu, worked fine, sold it, been fine ever since.

i'm not saying "I know it's your ecu...", but this is what happened in my case of similar circumstance.

good luck - maybe it's something simple??

Nate

armyets2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
i havent had it happen to my 2.9 either however i had a similar problem with my grandam. the engine would take off without hitting the gas, especially at idle. it started out once i a great while and got progressively worse. turned out my problem was a bum wire at the TPS pigtail. i found the wire and fixed it and then another wire at the TPS Broke and yielded the same symptoms. I ended up rebuilding the whole pigtail with about 2 Foot of wire to be safe. If it does it again and gets worse this also could be a possibility

Shawn

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I had the same thing occur once, on my '94 2.3L (Ranger) when I first bought it. Since it was under warranty I took it to the dealer, and they determined that the TPS caused it. They replaced the TPS, and it never happened again (12 years and 350K+ miles later). May or may not the same thing in your case, but a run-away engine symptom should be corrected. Good luck getting it squared away.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
well, i'll leave it alone for now, and see if it acts up again. This truck has done more then its fair share of one time oddities. That was what I was thinking or something like that. Ya, anyways this engine only has to last me a litte wile longer before I start really searching for a new 5L. It may come sooner then expected but who knows.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals