• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Accident at Haspin 5/24/09

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
http://offroadohio.messageforums.net/cbw-we-will-miss-you-t1720.html

I would like for everyone to take a little time and read this.

Many of us over on offroadohio and rowdyjeepers lost a good friend and a great person in a tragic wheeling accident this past weekend. We are all forever changed and are taking safety much more seriously from this point forward. I am going to be installing harnesses for every seat in my rig before the next JeepSkool and will not offer rides to anyone who will not wear them. My haphazard ways I am sure will still be there but I will no longer be putting my safety or the safety of others in the backseat of my life. I was present for the funeral earlier today to support my fellow wheelers who were present for the tragic accident and to help her family see how much we really care. I am actually very upset of the whole ordeal and would like everyone to recognize how terribly dangerous our hobby can be when we over look safety for fun, lifts, tires, lockers etc. My times with Cheri were always good and she was a victim of a rollover in someone elses vehicle. The driver was taken for blood tests to ensure there were not any chemicals in there system when the accident happened so keep that in mind next time your drinking and wheeling . This is a terrible way to learn a lesson like this but I pray someones eyes open up a little and they spend there money a little differently to prevent another incident like this. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!

Chuck

Last edited:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The link don't work.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Well, I would hope that anyone going offroad wore a seatbelt. I won't even get in my truck and move it without putting on a seatbelt.

I have seen people on the trail not wearing seatbelts. I just don't understand it. For some reason people don't realize they can get hurt moving at slow speeds.

Link didn't work for me either.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fixed. I am one of those idiots who does not wear there seatbelt while wheeling, that will be changed for good now.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I hate when tragedies like this happen. It's even worse when you have to use them as examples, because you don't want to appear insensitive to the situation. But I guarantee the victim of this tragedy would want others to learn from it and not have to have it happen to them.

Wear your seat belts. This isn't the first time we've heard about these types of offroad tragedies.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My condolences. But one question, what's a peproll ?

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
After rolling my wheeling rig back in 05 I always wear my seatbelt. Both my passenger and I walked away basically unscathed thanks to the seatbelts. The crazy part is not 30 seconds before I put my truck on it's lid my passenger buckled his belt and I jokingly said "what, you think you need a seatbelt riding with me?" right before buckling my own belt.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mmmmmm, i'm kinda hungry now, sorry guys. I am going to have a sport cage made on the zuk before I ever even think of taking my kid out in it.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The truly scary part about this accident is that the vehicle she was riding in has rolled more times than I can count without any issues. It is regarded as the safest and best built rig by most of the people who wheel with the owner. This was a simple flop on the side not a barrel roll down a steep hill. It is a very upsetting time that has made many of us count or blessings.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
she is in my prayers, and honestly probably the one who took it the hardest was the driver (if he/she is still alive, you said they were taken for chemical analysis, but this can happen even if they pass)

it's always worse when the driver stays alive (worse for them), as they feel a huge sense of guilt, when it's not always their fault.

unfortunately, said before, it's a lesson to be learned. i haven't let people ride in my truck since the day i had it unless they buckle up... never been a problem, if they have a problem, well they don't have a ride.

alot of people think their invincible because they have a bit of metal surrounding them.... i internshipped at a local hospital, and made rounds in the ER, OR, and such.... you wouldn't believe what i've seen, they've made me sick a numerous amount of times.

don't underestimate the power of a proper seatbelt guys and gals.

RIP cheri

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats what we always do first thing make sure all cargo is strapped down so in the event of a roll over nothing comes falling out that could hit us and injure us then once we get in seatbelts theres no reason not to you never now when something could happen a rock could slip and put you off un even. safty first guys

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A seat belt doesn't necessarily save your life all the time.Chuck even though I'm not your biggest fan I'm gonna tell you this.If you don't have a cage do not I REPEAT DO NOT put a harness in.A harness will hurt you without a cage because they hold you in place and if the roof collapses you WILL die.If you have a cage then by all means do this.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a bad deal.

I will not wear a harness in anything without a rollcage though, I have seen a couple trucks do nice easy flops where the cab crushes down level with the hood and bed, I want to be able to lean over and wait to get cut out at least, rather than be held upright and crushed along with the cab.

I can't go anywhere without a seatbelt on, it just doesn't feel right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals