• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Acceleration improvement ideas?

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have recently gotten in to fast track mud drag racing with my 03 fx4 ranger. For an almost stock truck it does real well, but I am looking for ways to improve on my times. This is a 300ft drag, and I do it in 4low for max power and acceleration. I have yet to find the red line in 4th gear, so high end is not an issue. The way i look at it I have three basic options. Re gear the axles, find a way to get a lower range T case, or motor work.
If it can be done re-gearing the T case, or buying one with a lower gear ratio in 4 low seams like the best option. I looked in the tech section and did not see anything about being able to re-gear it, or any suggested T case replacements. But if I am missing something please clue me in because doing it this way would help my racing a ton without any negative effects on street driving or gas mileage.
Then there is re-gearing my axles. I could be wrong, but it just does not seem to make sense to do this. I currently have 4.10s and 33" tires. To me it does not seem cost effective to go from 4.10 to 4.56, and 4.88s worry me for several reasons. I could be wrong, but i think that this is too deep of a gear for the front end. When I re-geared my B2 to 4.56 the pinion gear in the front was tiny, plus with the ring rear so thick we has to shave down one of the pins in my carrier to be able to put it back together. Also 4.88 and 33's seems steep as hell for street driving, and would likely do a number on my MPG's. Am I wrong about the 4.56 not being worth it, or the 4.88's opening me up for issues?
Lastly the motor stuff. I am not a mechanic and i don't play one on TV, so ripping my motor apart really is not an option, leaving me with "bolt on" options. Intakes, exhaust, and computer chips just seem like gimmicks to me.
They all claim to give big hp gains, but most guys who have them seem to say they ether got little or nothing out of them. The two things I have looked at that seem promising are an electric "super charger" that I saw advertised on hear. http://www.superchargertuning.com/Ford/Ranger/ . And or Nitrous. I know nitrous is the best bang for my buck, and at some point I do plan on adding it to my ranger, but I can only use it in one of the two classes I race in, so it can not be the only thing i do.
Last thing I have thought of doing is dropping my race tires from 33" to 31" but this could be a catch 22. some times the drag lanes can get rutted up, and if I am dragging frame I am screwed.

Sorry for the long read. I just wanted to give you all the info I could to make it so you can give me the best possible advice. Also so none of you would think that I expect you to do my research for me. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Put on a doubler. Since yer going in a straight line if its not yer daily driver Lincoln lock your diffs. If it is used for other things get a set of lockers.

Last edited:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
panama since he said he is worried about mpg i would think its his dd to so lincoln lockin isnt an option. but i gotta ask wouldnt a doubler make it crawl better not have better acceleration?

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
panama since he said he is worried about mpg i would think its his dd to so lincoln lockin isnt an option. but i gotta ask wouldnt a doubler make it crawl better not have better acceleration?
yes and yes. it is a DD. i don't need a locker. traction was not an issue. i am just looking for more acceleration. And a doubler would make my ratio to slow. my T case is something like 2.47:1. double that and you are looking at 4.94:1. that's way to low. Im thinking something like 3.5:1 would be good.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Wow!! Didn't we have this post about a year ago? It sounds just like one we had on here I remember reading about the same thing. Really weird. I thought it was deja vu, Eh?? lol

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Wow!! Didn't we have this post about a year ago? It sounds just like one we had on here I remember reading about the same thing. Really weird. I thought it was deja vu, Eh?? lol
yes and no. I did post about looking to improve on my 2.9l B2. this is for my 4.0l ranger. plus i have different goals this time. and different tires, and different gear ratios, and different just about everything. And I never even brought up T cases last time. so ya not a double post. :thefinger:
this is the tread i started, that I think you are referring to. Read it. totally Fing different.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125461&highlight=drag+racing

Last edited:

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
You should gear the heck Out of it and run in 4 high.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
You should gear the heck Out of it and run in 4 high.
do you know how low I would have to gear it to make up for running in 4 high? I even posted in the OP that i was worried about dropping in 4.88's.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Do NOT get that electric supercharger. They are all scams and do not work. They only push air, not compress it like a real supercharger. please do not buy it. save your money.

Tarryn

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're not going to get 100+ hp from exhaust and intake, but there is definitely a noticeable difference in acceleration.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lose weight. That's free.

Richard

Jonny Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
87 is right, those electric fans are absolute crap. Most likely you'll just end up sucking chunks of them into your engine..

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Lose weight.

Regear axles.

Real engine modifications - headers, exhaust, intake, port/polish, chip when you're done.

You're not going to be able to run a big shot of nitrous nor pour it in for the whole length of the track. Your motor just isn't built for it.

OOOOORRRRR.....

Go 5.0L. That'll get moving in a hurry. Done right, it'll even look stock. I'm not sure how bolt-in it is for an 04, but I know that a swapping one out of a 99 Explorer into a 2000 Ranger was nearly bolt in. Had to splice something like 5 wires and drill one hole (drivers side motor mount). Of course, then it's on to working out all the gremlins that come with such a swap, but.... stomping on the go pedal is SOOOO much fun, lol.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have to put a dollar amount on this project. What I would suggest is to look into either a supercharger or turbo. Just don't go above 8 lbs. and you shouldn't have a problem with the lower end of the motor.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
don't really have a set budget. I do have rules i have to work within. No V8 swap. I can't do a "real" supercharger. If it did get good reviews I could have gotten away with calling that electric one a turbo. I can do turbo though. I asked several questions that did not get answered in the OP though. Is it cost effective/ worth it to go from 4.10 to 4.56? Is 4.88 to deep for running 33's on the road? would 4.88's be to much for the front end and cause issues? I am also digging deeper into the lower range T case. Looks like I could get an Atlas 3.8:1, but from what i have read it has only been done twice in RBV's and both times it was done in explorers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals