• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Accel Coil Pack???

karaoke_carlos

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at replacing my coil pack (93 Ranger, 4.0L, V6), and more for affordability rather than performance, I've run into the ACCEL coil packs on e-bay.

Is anyone running these? are they worth it? or am I going to regret going with the aftermarket components?

Thanks a bunch!

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i had one, thought it was junk. coulda been the enviroment it was runing in tho

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
I have one on my 99 4.0 and it doesnt seem much better than OEM, the only thing i have noticed is the exaust seems hotter, whether that translates into anything i dont know. Power wise no i really didnt notice anything, if any it was very minimal.

karaoke_carlos

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Putting aside "hotter"

Has it been reliable?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless you plan on running higher rpm than a stock engine will run, no coil will do better than OEM! As long as the OEM coil lights the fire no coil could have lit it better..
Big JIm

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
None of the aftermarket companies (MSD, Accel, Performance Distributors-Screamin Demon, etc.) do ANY reliability testing as called out in the SAE standards like the OEM suppliers for electrical components.

Stay with the OEM coilpack.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bob you never learn do you?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bob you never learn do you?
Just stating FACTS....I believe your the one that has trouble learning!!!

From NGK:

"With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think"

Poor Sreamin Demon, and MSD reliability:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/9887-screamin-demon-ignition-coil.html

http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/forum/spark_plug_wires._P223718.htm

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?topic=18210.0

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f42/second-screemin-demon-coil-31377/

Last edited:

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If stock parts are so great, then why is there upgrades for almost EVERY part under a hood? You are telling me that a MSD distributor isn't better than stock? Are you saying that JBA headers are no better than stock? Your nuts if you are. If stock was so good, then why does NASCAR, NHRA, CORE, and other performance based series run those parts?

shizzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are parts because people spend money on them. People feel cool because that have aftermarket parts on their rig.

Nascar and other pro race teams spend thousands of hours testing and modifying parts. even if you are running the same carb, heads or intake as they are they have spent many hours messaging that part to work better.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
there are parts because people spend money on them. People feel cool because that have aftermarket parts on their rig.

Nascar and other pro race teams spend thousands of hours testing and modifying parts. even if you are running the same carb, heads or intake as they are they have spent many hours messaging that part to work better.
And many of those thousands of hours is done by the manufacture for the pro teams. Then the manufactures put that info into their consumer parts.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If stock parts are so great, then why is there upgrades for almost EVERY part under a hood? You are telling me that a MSD distributor isn't better than stock? Are you saying that JBA headers are no better than stock? Your nuts if you are. If stock was so good, then why does NASCAR, NHRA, CORE, and other performance based series run those parts?

When is the last time you saw a dragster with 100K miles on it???????;missingteeth;;missingteeth;

NASCAR also uses carbs, are you saying a carb is better than EFI too????

Last edited:

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
So back to your question, yes the coilpack has been reliable, although the claims they made for power really dont exist. As far as "nothing is better then OEM", it is total BS, having found that my truck left me sit in my driveway due to 3 of my autolite spark plugs failed,and they are only 4 months old, so I'm not very happy with all OEM parts. The OEM coilpack is a very reliable component, and if your thinking of getting an accel for reliability, its really not any better then OEM. If you want reliability, look and see if your engine has ever overheated, if so watch as your overflow tank as your wonderful OEM cracked cylinderheads drains every last drop from it, forcing yet another overheat. But hey, nothing is better then OEM.:c-n:

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So back to your question, yes the coilpack has been reliable, although the claims they made for power really dont exist. As far as "nothing is better then OEM", it is total BS, having found that my truck left me sit in my driveway due to 3 of my autolite spark plugs failed,and they are only 4 months old, so I'm not very happy with all OEM parts. The OEM coilpack is a very reliable component, and if your thinking of getting an accel for reliability, its really not any better then OEM. If you want reliability, look and see if your engine has ever overheated, if so watch as your overflow tank as your wonderful OEM cracked cylinder drains every last drop from it, forcing yet another overheat. But hey, nothing is better then OEM.:c-n:

Autolites are not OEM spark plugs, Motorcraft are!!!

Again aftermarket ignition systems and coilpacks ARE NOT tested for reliability to SAE standards!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Autolites are not OEM spark plugs, Motorcraft are!!!

Again aftermarket ignition systems and coilpacks ARE NOT tested for reliability to SAE standards!!
Motorcraft are made by the same company as Autolight (so are Champions), but Ford has their own specs they require them to made to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals