• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC intermittently blows warm

Old68mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
When cruising for long period the AC will start blowing warm air. Kicking it to WOT then back to cruise speed will usually cure it but sometimes have to do it several times.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check to see if the AC tubes are freezing in the engine bay on the heater box
That would mean you are low on "Freon", and its getting TOO COLD so flow inside the tubes stops until it "unthaws"

Could also be one of your pressure switches is failing, opening and then not closing right away when pressure is correct again

And then there is the PCM, the computer, it is what controls the AC
It has a "relay" inside it that you activate using the dash AC switch, demand signal
PCM then connects pressure switches(the ground) to the AC relay which then turns on and sends 12v to AC Clutch

When you press gas pedal to the floor(WOT) PCM turns off that internal "relay" to shut off AC for more power from the engine, which is the point of WOT

Now, since WOT seems to reset it then it may be a computer issue, but very very hard to diagnose that and the least likely issue

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I had a Taurus that did this exact thing. AC worked intermittently. Replaced the A/C relay/fuse (?) under the hood and all was fixed.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have friend that had a similar symptom with his older Grand Cherokee. His mechanic said it was nearly clogged orifice tube.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals