• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC help

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So a little over a year ago I hit a deer one morning on my way to work. Killed the front bumper, facia under the grill, and my AC condenser. Fixed it all except condenser. My problem is that my truck was never converted to r134…and right before this happened (mabey a week lol) I stumbled into some r12 I was going to charge it with. My question is can I just replace my condenser with a new one and it be fine? Or is a modern coil going to interfere with the old oil and r12?? I have access to a complete donor truck with possibly a good coil …. But it’s been converted to r134. just looking for answers before I decide if I wanna redo the whole system.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
My question is can I just replace my condenser with a new one and it be fine?
If you replace it with a new condenser, for a 1989 truck, it should be received as dry and R12 can be used.

If you go with a used condenser, it should be flushed before you install it anyway. Especially if the donor was running R134a.

Typically, the drier / accumulator should also be replaced after a system has been opened.

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you replace it with a new condenser, for a 1989 truck, it should be received as dry and R12 can be used.

If you go with a used condenser, it should be flushed before you install it anyway. Especially if the donor was running R134a.

Typically, the drier / accumulator should also be replaced after a system has been opened.
Very cool. So will a drier/accumulator come dry as well? I’ve seen sone come with a desiccant in them obviously for moisture. But didn’t know about oil

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Very cool. So will a drier/accumulator come dry as well? I’ve seen sone come with a desiccant in them obviously for moisture. But didn’t know about oil
No, a new replacement drier/accumulator should not have oil.

But it pays to check- I got a new "dry" compressor once that did have the oil charge added before it was boxed at the factory.

When replacing components, there are guidelines on how much oil to replace back to the system, based on which component. It's not in front of me at the moment, but I can look up the amounts of replacement oil to add in the factory repair manual, for condenser only, or for the condenser and drier.

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

But it pays to check- I got a new "dry" compressor once that did have the oil charge added before it was boxed at the factory.

When replacing components, there are guidelines on how much oil to replace back to the system, based on which component. It's not in front of me at the moment, but I can look up the amounts of replacement oil to add in the factory repair manual, for condenser only, or for the condenser and drier.
If you wouldnt mind that would be great! I’ll just have to do my due diligence on parts selection. But that’s great info

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you wouldnt mind that would be great! I’ll just have to do my due diligence on parts selection. But that’s great info
Will do, when I get a minute.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm told R-12 is "liquid gold." You could probably sell it for big bucks and, if you don't mind, refill with a propane substitue like EnviroSafe or Duracool. I've used these as R-12 sustitutes in my '75 Ranchero and they work much better than using R-134a in an R-12 system. These are also compatible with your R-12 oil.

Yes I've heard the propane leak scare but no worse than 60 psi EFI gasoline under the hood for me.

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

If you wouldnt mind that would be great! I’ll just have to do my due diligence on parts selection.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it's an '89 2.3, it should have an FX15 compressor. 1989 Ford shop manual pages; the section for component replacement oil addition is in the second image.

89 FX15 oil a.JPG

89 FX15 oil b.JPG

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks so much! That’s a huge help! Out of curiosity… how does one go about flushing out a condenser?
A cleaning agent is run through it, and blown out by compressed clean air or nitrogen.

Attached pdf file is a tutorial article on flushing.

Attachments

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
A cleaning agent is run through it, and blown out by compressed clean air or nitrogen.

Attached pdf file is a tutorial article on flushing.
Thank you. There is so much stuff to ac systems it’s mind bending lol

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the system has been open that long I'd flush all the lines and the evaporator core, then replace the receiver dryer. I'd also convert it to R134 and have the system evacuated and charged instead of just blowing freon in there with the system full of air. Then you can sell the R12 and recoup a few bucks. R134 cools fine, the key is to not overcharge it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
How much R12 do you have? If you have just enough to charge your AC then I would be hesitant to use it. What happens if you develop a small leak - then you'll be hunting for more R12.

I second Walt's recommendations... you need to replace the receiver drier and for sure pull a vacuum on it.

Yes I've heard the propane leak scare but no worse than 60 psi EFI gasoline under the hood for me.
If I did it on something that I leave parked outside, I'd do it and not think twice. A vehicle parked indoors is a different story... hesitant on that.

My buddy worked at a Ford dealership in NM or UT, don't recall which but one of his co-workers charged a bus AC unit with propane and left it in the shop overnight where it leaked out and something sparked & blew up the building. Granted there is probably a lot more refrigerant in a bus AC unit than a small car/truck.

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
How much R12 do you have? If you have just enough to charge your AC then I would be hesitant to use it. What happens if you develop a small leak - then you'll be hunting for more R12.

I second Walt's recommendations... you need to replace the receiver drier and for sure pull a vacuum on it.
I have 7 cans. Surely it wouldn’t eat up that many?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals