• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC/Heat issue, strange...

LSR Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys,
1st post, been searching a bit, haven't found anything similar to this.

I just inherited my dad's 98 Ranger XLT.

the Air Conditioning only blows cold (very cold) on MAX cool setting.

Anywhere else but OFF it blows HOT, varying the temp knob, doesn't change the temperature.

I'm thinking the temp control, may be bad, any thoughts/experience like this anyone?

LSR Mike

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It is more than likely your blend door, or blend door motor.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Here is a great video on the motor replacement. It's on an Explorer, but the Ranger should be dang near, if not, identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-36aM360V8

I just did this on my Expedition, and what happens inside these motors is the gears get brittle and bust. Look at the picture of mine.

What it looks like when you pull it out.

LSR Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is a great video on the motor replacement. It's on an Explorer, but the Ranger should be dang near, if not, identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-36aM360V8

I just did this on my Expedition, and what happens inside these motors is the gears get brittle and bust. Look at the picture of mine.

What it looks like when you pull it out.

I didn't really want to her that, however, I'll be under the dash tonight testing...thanks for the video, I've actually been in there cleaning yesterday. (farm truck, I think dad left the windows down while he was plowing or other dusty jobs).

now on to the drive shaft damper (removal) and power steering pump. Yeah, I looked them up, I guess I'm in the "club of common problems" now.

LSR Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, it's not the actuator motor, it works fine. if I manually position the blend door, it blows cold on AC etc...all is good. Tested the actuator motor, it twists and turns with temperature control knob, goody, maybe the door was just stuck and now it's free...well, re-installed the actuator motor, turned it to hot, went hot, turned it to cold, still blows hot...removed the actuator motor again (no I did not re-install that 3rd screw in the back) moved the door by hand, blows cold, actuator motor back on, blows cold, turn up to hot, goes hot, stays hot. Looks like I have a one way door...time for that sticky about the heater core removal...oh yeah, that 3rd screw, lost it in the bottom of my toolbox...forever...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
So it all works now?

LSR Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope, same as before...door swings one way, once it turns hot it stays hot. looks like the "Nail Fix" is the next move...Nail Fix did the trick... Hot, Cold, Warm air and everything in between... hmmm says temporary. we will see how long it takes to break...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals