• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC Compressor Stalls??

Elijahcole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i noticed a loud noise that appears then goes away then appears then goes away in the engine bay of my 99 ranger. I opened up the hood and noticed that the top pulley on the right side of the engine stops while the belt is still moving, then goes, then stops, then goes and continues that process. It doesn’t look too healthy, looks like that process can harm the belt, as it continues to grind on the pulley even when the pulley seems to have pulled an e brake. I asked a couple friends and they were saying it looks like it’s the ac clutch. I was wondering if that’s what it is and why it’s in the stop and go loop? If it helps, my ac only works at max setting, does not blow anything in all the other settings. I’m not a car guy if you can’t tell so I have no clue what I’m dealing with!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If the belt is not slipping on the pulley itself, the compressor is working as it should. The pulley is two parts with a magnetic clutch to lock them together when the compressor needs to run. If the compressor is cycling on and off pretty quickly, then you have a coolant charge issue. Which is a different ball of wax.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
The Sarge hit the nail on the head. trust me, if the actual pulley was locking up, you would definitely know about it, as the ungodly squeal accompanied by the pungent odor of burnt rubber then the snap as the belt breaks...,

a click or pop as the a/c clutch engages/ disengages is normal. frequent cyclingof the clutch does point to low refrigerant. so you probably have a small leak somewhere. get it topped off with a leak detecting dye so you can find the leak the next time it goes low.

AJ

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
As was pointed out the pulley itself where the belt rides will spin all the time, you most likely are looking at the very front of the pulley on the AC compressor which is a magnetic clutch and it will engage and disengage as the AC tells it to turn on and off. Rapid and quick cycling of the AC clutch is a great sign that your AC is low on refrigerant. It needs to be serviced. If the pulley were actually froze up you'd definitely hear a horrendous squealing noise as the belt slips around the pulley, as well as a lot of smoke and burned rubber smell.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
X5 and if you are also saying that you only get max blower fan then you have a problem with the resistor fan settings.

Ray

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals