• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC Compressor Not Kicking On

Danger Ranger 4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys...im pretty new with air conditioning.....i have a 1998 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 and the ac compressor wont engage....i checked the fuse...good....but theres an ac relay too...how do u test that and what else should i check to get the punp to kick on?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If the system is low on refrigerant the compressor will not cycle.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can trace it with a test light with the engine running turn the a/c on and see if your getting power to the clutch, If so the clutch is bad. then work your way back to the computer. To check if the system is dead carefully depress one of the schrader valves lightly to see if refrigerant comes out. put a rag over the service valve and depress the schrader quickly. If it has pressure you can try adding refrigerant if it is dead you need to pressure test it to find the leak before adding refrigerant. Look the system over good anything with wires attached to the refrigerand lines and components is either a pressure or temp switch. Either open or closed pretty simple if a switch is open you need to figure out why.

timaugie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Same issue

Hey Guys...im pretty new with air conditioning.....i have a 1998 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 and the ac compressor wont engage....i checked the fuse...good....but theres an ac relay too...how do u test that and what else should i check to get the punp to kick on?
I'm having the same issue. I have a 93 2.3L 2WD. I saw the A/C relay in the fuse box. Are you able to pull that out just like a fuse? I didn't want to go yanking it out if it wasn't meant to be pulled out.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can pull the relays out, sometimes it takes some wiggling to work them out. Try swapping the a/c relay with another one like it in the relay box- if that fixes it then replace it. Check for burnt connections at the connectors where the relay plugged in before pushing another one in its place.

ltlvt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone have a link that shows which fuses and which relays control what? I have a 96 Ranger 2.3 and don't have the owners manual. I can get the clutch to work if i jump power and ground from the battery to it. It is full of freon and cools. I have also jumped the pressure switch but cannot get power to the clutch. Thanks for any links or pictures.

Terry

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ltvt, I had the same issue recently. Theres a couple of threads. Check out the search box and look for "fuse diagram"

IIRC you'll need to check the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) relay as well. It's next to the fuel pump relay

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

When in doubt, read the information already on the forum. I know this should have been the first thing to check but is there 14V at the compressor power plug? Until you check that, checking all the relays is a waste. 14V at the plug indicates a bad clutch solenoid.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/tech.htm

Last edited:

MasonCampbell18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can trace it with a test light with the engine running turn the a/c on and see if your getting power to the clutch, If so the clutch is bad. then work your way back to the computer. To check if the system is dead carefully depress one of the schrader valves lightly to see if refrigerant comes out. put a rag over the service valve and depress the schrader quickly. If it has pressure you can try adding refrigerant if it is dead you need to pressure test it to find the leak before adding refrigerant. Look the system over good anything with wires attached to the refrigerand lines and components is either a pressure or temp switch. Either open or closed pretty simple if a switch is open you need to figure out why.
I did what you said with a light tester and I’m not getting power to the Compressor at all I checked the fuses and their good. Do you know what could the problem be?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals