• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ac blows cool but not cold

B-Train

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I’ve got a 94 ranger 4.0 4x4, the AC compressor cuts on and stays running at idle, but cycles quick while driving. It blows cool but not cold as it should. The gauge shows the low pressure side at 40 psi. Everything seems to be working but not blowing extremely cold. Orifice tube is ice cold to touch, I’ve checked other posts on here and cannot figure out what’s going on, thanks in advance

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would pull off/out the Blower Fan motor in engine bay and reach in and feel the Evaporator fins, see if there is any debris blocking part of it
You can also start the engine and run the AC, then feel if the whole Evaporator is cooling down, "icy cold"

1994 uses a slider switch with cable to operate the Blend Door, the TEMP control slider
The Blend Door routes the air from the blower/fan either thru the Heater core(HOT), or around the Heater core(COLD), or anywhere in between
AC can only go down to 35degF, or it can freeze internally and stop working, so it generally stays at about 38-40degF
Heater core is at 190degF

So any leakage at the Blend door would heat up the air coming out of the vents pretty quick, lol
Easy to check this
Warmed up engine, Turn AC off
Slide blend door control to COLD
Fan on HIGH
Should be outside air temp coming thru the vents
Slide control to HOT
Should get hot air coming out
Slide it back to COLD
Should cool off right away

There is an adjustment for TEMP slider, its above glove box
Fold down glove box all the way, pinch the sides
Look on top of the "air box" you will see the cable
Move the slider and you can see it moving the Blend Door arm
There is a screw that holds the cable's sheath, thats the adjustment

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I am having this same problem and was hoping Ron would reply. I took a pic of this page on my phone for quick access when I am at the ranger lol. Thank you both.

B-Train

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I was reading yours and was hoping for a solution on one of them. Thank you RonD for the quick reply, I’ll check the evaporator tomorrow, it’s bamboozled me enough for today !! Lol

TrackAire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Ron,
I have a 1993 Explorer and am having the same issues with cool but not cold ac. Is the 1993 the same as 1994 when it comes to adjusting the temp slider?
Also, if I remember correctly the 1994 trucks starting using some sort of vacuum operated diverter valve to keep hot coolant from going into the heater core when the a/c is turned on. 1993 and earlier trucks did not have this. Is this something that would help make the AC more efficient and cooler? It doesn't look too hard to install. Thanks in advanced.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, sliders use cables in all Fords, Knobs are vacuum or electric

My 1994 Ranger 4.0l can't use a single hose valve because the flow is needed from intake back to water pump or you get random overheating
I know this because when my heater core starts to get clogged up the temp gauges starts to go above 1/2 then back down randomly, lol

A 4 hose by-pass valve could be used because flow to water pump is maintained

Heater core is 180deg, so even if air is not passing thru it(blend door closed) it will still radiate some heat in the cab
So by-passing it would allow it to cool off and not radiate as much heat inside the cab
Might help buy a few degrees cooler, but not alot
And if Blend Door was not sealing, closing all the way, it would help more since core is no longer at 180deg

The main benefit of MAX AC is cutting off outside air when its 90+deg outside
If AC can cool 90deg air down to 70deg
Then it would cool 70deg air down to 50deg

So if you recirculate the already COOLED AIR from the cab back thru the AC(evaporator) it makes the AC more efficient

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals