• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS/Speed Sensor and axle swap rant

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
So.. I have a '94 Exp Sport and a '96 Ranger Splash. Both have the same gearing, mostly the same parts and are both 4x4 / 4.0 / 5 speeds. I bought the Ranger last spring for my winter truck and knew when I bought it that the front axle wasn't working; thought it was the hubs.. Anyway, no biggie because I have the Exp to pull from. I got to looking further and found that the pinion gear had been blown off the shaft and it took flight through the differential housing. Still not a big deal because I have the exact replacement for the diff in the Exp right? Right....

I pull the hubs and find that because the Exp has front ABS that the Speed Sensor has to be pulled. Well there's 2 bolts that hold the cast "shield" into place to protect the sensor. One is a 6 point 8mm, the other is a 12 point 6mm. You cannot pull the axle withouth removing this and this is where the journey starts..

I called around all over 6 cities here in Iowa and NO ONE has one. My buddy got one of the bolts out with a 1/4" 12 point socket, but the second is too tight so after 2 full days, I took a coal chisel to the second one. I call the Ford dealer and he supports what I'd already figured; it's just a 12 point 6 mm socket. So he gives me the Snap-On guys number. Well, he doesn't have one and has to order it up.. (two blown weekends) after he dangles me another week, I order one from Sears in a 3/8" drive. Third weekend blown because the diameter of the socket is too big to fit, and I need the sensors in tact on the Ranger, so I can't just bust them out at $60 each. So I had to order an Allen brand 1/4" drive through Sears which is due in this week... Allen, because Sears doesn't market a 1/4" drive 6mm 12pt..

Now SURELY I'm not the only one who's run into this little issue? :annoyed:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been there. Took home what I thought were all the tools necessary to replace my front axle u-joints, only to realize I forgot my snap-on 12 point 6mm. Couildn't find one anywhere in town. Ended up slightly boogering up my bolts by tapping a cheap taiwan 6 point socket onto them.

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why are you worried about keeping the front ABS stuff in tact? It's not useable on the ranger as they only came with rear abs. Ditch that stuff and be done with it

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Many '95-'97 Rangers did come with 4WABS.

I think most box end wrenches have 12 pt ends on them (that's what I've always used to remove the 8mm 12-pt bolts on the t-case end of the front driveshaft).

Last ditch effort if access is available: Change them into 6-pt heads using a Dremel.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Well, couple of things here..

First off my '96 Ranger DOES have the exact same front ABS as my '94 Exp. It's not that uncommon. Hadn't even thought of any that didn't have front ABS. As this is my winter DD and I drive it 140 miles/day on the interstate/state hiways, I want the feature. Not to debate the merits of it, I personally like the feature.

Secondly, you can not get a wrench, dremel or even the 3/8" drive 6mm 12pt socket in the place where the head of the bolt is. ONLY a 1/4" drive will fit. You can touch the head of the bolt with the tip of your little finger about a knuckle deep.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I remember a few years back I was in the same situation and couldnt find anything to fit it. I just hammered a 6-point socket on it (not sure if it was metric or standard, its been a while). Luckly, I didnt round it off and it came out without too much fuss. Just remember not to tighten it back up too tight in case, errr rather, for when you have to take it back apart again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals