• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

abs not working after rotor replacement

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
hi guys
well i just did a brake job on my 96 b4000 4x4, that went good, while doing the brakes i also replace the rotors,drums,rear brake cylinders and the ujoint on the drive axel front pass.. side.
here is the issue abs light comes on as soon as i start the vehicle and stays on. also after the vehicle has been sitting for awhile when i come out to start it and put my foot on the brake it is hard as a rock no give at all until the vehicle is started. any ideas as to what i need to do to solve this problem?
thanks

Last edited:

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dumb question... did you bleed the system?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So hard brake pedal, start up, engine idles, and pedal gets soft? Sounds like normal for vacuum brakes, other than the vacuum leaking out to make the initial pedal press a hard one.

Did you replace your rotors with rotors for a 4 wheel abs system? Did you get rotors that have the right tone wheel for your gear ratio? Or is your tone wheel on the axle shaft and not in the back of the rotor?

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
bled the lines all 4 the pedal has no movement what so ever until you start the motor

Last edited:

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
So hard brake pedal, start up, engine idles, and pedal gets soft? Sounds like normal for vacuum brakes, other than the vacuum leaking out to make the initial pedal press a hard one.

Did you replace your rotors with rotors for a 4 wheel abs system? Did you get rotors that have the right tone wheel for your gear ratio? Or is your tone wheel on the axle shaft and not in the back of the rotor?[/QUOTE]

rotors where replaced with rotors for 4 wheel abs. not sure about the tone wheel order the rotor told them what i had and used what they gave me. i compared them with the old one they looked the same.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
where did you get them from?

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
id say check the code. I looked it up on auto zone and advances websites. No difference for axle ratios. Odd since i checked for my 94 explorer and it asks axle ratio.

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
someone said i need to bleed the abs pump i've never heard of this. as for checkinf the code i will try this as soon as i can which won't be for a week or so due to where i'm working at the moment. nearest place is 100 miles away.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You shouldn't need to do an ABS service bleed unless you opened the system above the ABS module. It doesn't sound like you did that, so I'd say that isn't your issue.

Sounds to me like you need a new check valve for your booster and maybe some new sensors. As for the light, I'd get the codes. Unlike engine codes ABS codes usually only mean one thing is busted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals