• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS module/OD cancel fuse keeps blowing

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
My son has had my Ranger for a few weeks while his truck is in the shop. He says the 10A fuse (slot 20 foot panel) for the ABS/OD cancel keeps blowing. It's not immediate but intermittent. Now he says the turn signals quit working and the high beams won't stay on. Does this sound like maybe an issue with wiring in the steering column or control stalks? Every car that kid touches comes up with problems. :pissedoff:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
They did have problems in some of the larger trucks with the OD switch wiring on the end of the stalk going bad and blowing the fuse.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cab Fuse 20 powers a few things

Page 2 of the diagrams

Does fuse blow with key on, so instantly, or does it happen only after driving?

OD(transmission control) switch is the most likely culprit, as it can short where the wires come out of the shift arm
If you pull off the clam shell cover from the steering column you can unplug its 2 wire connector and see if fuse still blow

I wouldn't think Reverse lights, but test putting it into reverse and see if fuse blows, but this can be caused by short in OD wire by moving shifter, so move past Reverse first and wait a few seconds then move shifter to Reverse

Attachments

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
^^Thanks for the schematics, sounds about right, I'll try that when I get the truck back in a couple days. That #20 fuse sure controls a lot of functions! It only happens while driving he says. Over the past 2 years I've noticed the 'OD off' light come on every so often right after I start the truck so the stalk is likely failing. I always wrote it off to me accidentally hitting the button when shifting into drive.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OD button is a momentary contact button

Fuse 20------------------button-----------------------computer Pin 29

When you press the button it sends 12v momentarily to the computer, computer then toggles OD off or on, so what ever it was before pushing the button it goes to "the other" state

Key on resets computer to OD on regardless of its state when key was last turned off

If OD was turning off and then on randomly then its a good bet wires are worn "bare" somewhere and randomly touching each other and are now touching a ground, causing the blown fuse
Not that it matters but the button is most likely OK, short to ground would have to be wire issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals