• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS Light

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Yeah they were out of it. Got CRC MAF cleaner. Is that really about the same, or, should I take that back and wait until they have the right stuff?

Couldn't find silicone grease. How about spraying those outer shields with silicone spray? There was all kinds of gasket sealers but I didn't see the silicone grease. I'll look it up online. Duh.

More info on ABS light. It seems like when I turn the engine on, and I don't know yet if this is "always" but what I'm seeing is ABS light doesn't come on. Tapping the brake doesn't make it come on (or off, if it's on). But if it's on, and I turn the truck off then restart it, it's off. Comes on when I'm driving, whether using the brakes or not. ALSO, I noticed that sometimes the "Check gage" and "Parking brake" lights will flash momentarily, and it *seems* like this happens when I hit a bump. That infers to me that perhaps those lights, and maybe the ABS light (although when that comes on, it stays on), might be caused by a loose connector to the dash. If those other two lights are on the same harness connector, that would really infer that to me. Or it could be two different things or three different things. Those other two lights aren't telling the truth, parking brake is off, and gages look ok. True that it runs very cold, and that's almost for sure a thermostat issue that is cheap and I'm going to fix that, but the gages are ok when "check gage" flashes - they're right in the middle, or "1/2", and it doesn't stay on (nor does the Park brake light), they just flash and go off, not necessarily at the same time... I think. I don't know if that tells you anything. I'm just being real aware of what's happening with the lights and trying to see if there is any pattern to it.

I haven't checked the connector on top of the differential yet, I'll get out my old NAPA creeper and try to do that tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
After all this, finally got some brake fluid, level was marginal, topped it off, and looks like, based on a few miles driving and start/stop engine, that it was the fluid level, which had been mentioned early on by ericbphoto. I should have chased that first, duh. It would make sense that the system would give preference to the brakes working at all, and that the Brakes idiot light would start flashing intermittently if the fluid level were low. Don't know if those things would cause Check Gage light to come on, but I suppose it could, telling me, hey, check stuff. Anyway, if that's all it was, that's an easy fix, as long as it's not losing fluid somewhere, but I'd be able to tell that pretty quick by just looking at the level or if I saw drips on the driveway. I'm not getting any xmas lights at all now, knock on wood.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals