• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS Light on, speedometer malfunctioning, OD light flashing, AND harsh or no downshifting - All-in-one!!!

glacierlily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So, my 1999 Ford Ranger has the ABS light on constantly. Today, the speedometer would drop to zero every now and then. Then while that was happening, it revved to 5K on a downshift! And then right during all that, the overdrive light started flashing. I stopped the truck, turned it off. Things were better, but the shifting was harsh and the speedometer kept dropping to zero now and then. No check engine was on. After getting back home, using a crude scan tool, code P0500 shows up, and still no check engine light on. The code reader manual says "Veh. Speed Sensor A Malfunction". Where exactly is this sensor and can I change it myself? Automatic transmission, 133,000 miles, 6 cylinder, 3.0 liter, 2-wheel drive. Any advise or help would be appreciated - thank you!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Pull the codes, I suspect you have a wheel speed sensor having spasms.

glacierlily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the codes, I suspect you have a wheel speed sensor having spasms.
Thank you for your quick response!

The only code I get on my scan tool is P0500. Would a better scan tool show more/different codes to help pinpoint the problem? I searched some other threads and they indicate the speed sensor in the rear differential is connected to the ABS light/speed & odometer and possibly cruise control. The ABS light had been coming on intermittently before this all occurred. The two times with the problem of the speedometer dropping to zero have occurred on long trips over 30 miles at highway speeds. Short trips, the speedometer is normal but the ABS light stays on continuously now, when it use to be intermittent.

I had thought the cruise control was not working because when you push the cruise on, no light appears on the dash. Recently I found out that the cruise does work even though the "on" light does not illuminate. When you press the speed "set" button, there is a green light on the dash which reads "speed set".

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you don't have 4 wheel ABS the only sensor is on the rear differential, the VSS doubles as the ABS sensor. Takes 5 minutes to replace.

Though it could also be a wiring issue, it's common for the VSS wire to get damaged. Worst case scenario the tone ring on the ring gear is fubar. But the VSS is not expensive so I wouldn't hesitate to just replace it after inspecting the wire.

glacierlily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't have 4 wheel ABS the only sensor is on the rear differential, the VSS doubles as the ABS sensor. Takes 5 minutes to replace.

Though it could also be a wiring issue, it's common for the VSS wire to get damaged. Worst case scenario the tone ring on the ring gear is fubar. But the VSS is not expensive so I wouldn't hesitate to just replace it after inspecting the wire.
Super - thanks - that's the plan starting tomorrow. Starting with the sensor. Appreciate your input!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just an FYI...

I moved this post over to the brake forum... just trying to keep information where it should be.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The VSS is used for all of the above, so I would put my money on that too... It's a VR sensor, only 2 wires and has a magnet on the tip so if there's any metal shavings in the diff they can accumulate there.

glacierlily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with this matter. Replaced the rear differential speed sensor! The ABS light is off. Now it's time for a road test (once the smoke clears). Thanks again - appreciate it!!! Be safe out there!!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with this matter. Replaced the rear differential speed sensor! The ABS light is off. Now it's time for a road test (once the smoke clears). Thanks again - appreciate it!!! Be safe out there!!!
Let us know if the transmission issue is also gone...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals